HybridZ

Bummed!

speeder

Tonight was going to be the '77's track debut.

Just got the rear end of the car back together with LSD newly set up, good CV joints, and drag radials.

Datalogged the AFR versus manifold pressure and RPM on my "dyno" run up the Banana river bridge, everything looking good. Did a couple burnouts and leave 2 nice straight steaks of Nitto. Nothing breaks.

Car is screamin fast.

Threw my helmet into the car and left for work (2nd shift), plan to take off early and head to the track.

At idle while waiting at a drawbridge, I look in my rearview and see big oil smoke. When I get going there's a puff of oil after every shift.

None of the possible diagnoses are short term fixes - Looks like the car won't make it to Reynolds.

Bad day.

Hey, I'm now Speeder. Think I'll keep my logon name.

Well, Leakdown in hole #3 is 40%. :frown: Probably a delayed result from severe detonation caused by my failed FPR diaphragm a while back. Thought I had lucked out. Motor comes out this weekend.

If it weren't for bad luck I would have none at all.

Looks as if the engine will come out tomorrow - I have the ZXT shortblock (Thanks Mike Gad) cleaned and painted, and my spare N42 head with Isky turbo cam ready to be installed with HKS steel gasket and ARP studs.

Figure it's best to replace the whole engine rather than assume the original head is good, although I get pretty solid indications that there is piston or ring damage.

This is going to be close, but I think I'll make Reynolds.

Burn the midnight oil & bust some knuckles!! Looking forward to seeing you in the caravan on Saturday. :D

On a serious note, I know it's a tall order and if the car doesn't make it I hope you will still come and have some fun.

Engine is out of the car and all the parts to be reused are off. (All the "wet" work is done, thankfully) I'll build up the "new" engine tomorrow and install it - I'm taking 1/2 day off work to finish- I want to have it running tomorrow eve.. Hope to have Thur and Fri to debug and tune a bit.

Not complaining, but jeez this car has a lot of stuff on it. My little buddy with the stripped - out, SR20DET powered 240SX calls it a "Pimpmobile". Still not near as cluttered as one of those modern things, however.

Couldn't resist pulling the old head and peeking inside - The damage I saw was - none! No holes in pistons or scarred cylinder walls Looks as if a teardown later will expose the problem. Rings/Lands?

Once more into the breech tomorrow - You guys keep the good Karma heading my way.

The engine is in the car. Hard day. Had to helicoil 2 studs on the head ,Took me 4 hours(!) to get the damn engine to mate with the trans/clutch.

Anyhow, the car didn't run today - tomorrow I'll hook up electronics, water, and turbo stuff, then try it out.

Took some time to check stuff today - found that my TECII crank angle sensor bracket positioions it 6 deg (1 tooth) advanced. May have contributed to the engine failure.

I'm a little behind schedule, but still have time. Not a comfortable amount, but enough.

It runs!!!! Sounds good, pressures and temps good, and doesn't leak a drop of anything. The cam in the car now is lopier than the other one... cool. I'll torque the headgasket tomorrow morning early and go for a ride. Friday night I'm going to get some sleep!