HybridZ

RB Twin Turbo Exhaust

Ed260Z

I've been reading a few books, and gone through more threads than I can remember on this subject. This should probably be on the exhaust forum, but I'm more interested specifically on the RB DETT motors, obviously.

It seems, based on the books I've read the the best size would be 3.5", but that's going to be a tight fit under the car. And if you use 2 pipes, 2.75" pipes would work.

The questions are; Is it a good Idea to run 2 separate pipes for each turbo? Will this cause any kind of power loss, like on a N/A car?

My Idea is to run 2 pipes to a muffler located under the drive shaft, with 2 pipes exiting the muffler into a "twin" exhaust. I got this Idea from the early 70's Z rally car set-up.

I like this idea for 4 reasons;

1) The 2 pipes combined have a greater flow capacity 1 large one.

2) The exhaust gasses velocity should be quicker through the smaller pipes.

3) The pipes are more easily tucked under the car

4) I don't need to get a rice muffler to reduce the back pressure.

If anyone has ever done this, or know a reason why this won't work please chime in.

my local expert here on RB motors told me to use a single 3.5inch exhaust behind the RB26, use HKS downpipes off the twin turbos. I am upgrading to Garrett ballbearing turbos. He advised me to retain the current turbo manifolds but ream them out bigger to match the Garretts

yes in my experience in exhausts, although harder to fit, a single pipe is usually more efficient. one of the main reasons you go for 2 pipes, is if you just simply cant cram a big enough single down there. one pipe would also be quicker because it will be hotter since it will all be together (hotter=less dense=quicker flow). hopefully my ramblings have made since.

paul

I'm going to go with a 3.5" from the down pipe to the muffler. And I'm going to notch the tranny support so that the pipe will fit up higher. I still want a dual look, so I think I'll mount the muff just behind the tranny. It will have two 2.5" outlets to make the "dual" look. A lot of modern performance cars do this the get the look of a dual.

I'm going to fab up my own exhaust, and I wanted to know if a MIG welder is OK for this application? I don't have a shop, and I don't want flammable gas around the house.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ed