HybridZ

battery relocation

Guest carl sky

Guest carl sky

Has anyone out there relocated a battery behind the passenger seat in the area of the tool well? It would appear that a type 26 lead-acid would fit (6 3/4 x 8 x 7 high). The tool well and hatch would have to be modified and sealed from the car interior to prevent hydrogen gas issues. This battery comes with as much as 500 cold crank amps and hopefully would be sufficient for my 350 SBC with a gear-driven starter.

Thanks from central Idaho

The "Tool Box" behind the seats is not Square all the way down. It starts to taper forward about 3" down, and mets up with the front at a depth of 9". To make the Batt fit right you will need to cut into the under body of the car to make a true box. I hope you can follow me with that.

I plan on relocating my batt as well, but I'm going to put where the spare is. (Or would have been, depending on how you look at it.) I will be replacing my 74 tank with one from a later model S30 (76-78), and in the process I will need to remove the tire well so that it will fit. That will also leave me plenty of room to weld in a Batt box just in front of the new tank.

I relocated the battery behind the passenger seat on mine ('77 280Z). I used a Taylor battery box that is aluminum and seals tight. I mounted the box on the deck in front of the strut tower. I had to trim the sheet metal a bit to get it to fit. I ran the Positive battery cable down through the tool well and out the hole where the fuel pump leads are. I drilled a hole in to trans tunnel and ran the cable through a 90 degree piece of PCV pipe so it is covered. I attached a flexible PVC connector on the bottom side of the trans tunnel then used 1/2 inch PVC to the starter. By doing it this way the positive cable runs under the car in the trans tunnel and is encased in 1/2 inch PVC.

Hope that helps,

- Joe

Guest carl sky

I appreciate the feedback (4) and am still gathering information. I intend to construct a steel box that will be located in the vicinity of the right tool box and maintain a smooth floor as stock. Since the car is intended as a daily driver, it's important to me to maintain as much available space as possible and keep the spare tire well. Having measured this area it would seem that a type 26 lead-acid will fit in a box and still leave clearance for the rear suspension and right axle. Thanks, Carl Sky

well, I can do one of three things...

1. the seat isnt in the way as far as i can tell. If you move the seat all the way back on its tracks there is plenty of room to fit some cables on there.

2. Remote terminals somewhere in the engine compartment. problem with that is thats alot of work when I could just do number 3.

3. negative to the engine block or good ground, positive of the jumper cable on the + terminal on the starter. I've never jumped a car like that...but the cables all come from the same place (battery) I figure thats just like have jumper cable extensions. :)

well' date=' I can do one of three things...

1. the seat isnt in the way as far as i can tell. If you move the seat all the way back on its tracks there is plenty of room to fit some cables on there.

2. Remote terminals somewhere in the engine compartment. problem with that is thats alot of work when I could just do number 3.

3. negative to the engine block or good ground, positive of the jumper cable on the + terminal on the starter. I've never jumped a car like that...but the cables all come from the same place (battery) I figure thats just like have jumper cable extensions. :)[/quote']

I wasnt knockin your idea, just questioning it

Your completly right about number 3, and i thought about it, but on my other cars, the + on t he starter is not easily accessable.

I live in Tx too (well baghdad for the next 10 monthes)

Where in TX are you located?

I wasnt knockin your idea, just questioning it....

Oh I know, my response was somewhat hastily written as I was on my way out the door. With the V8 its going to get tricky getting some cables in there. I feel that with the way i mounted mine you could fit a set of cables under the seat with no problem...certainly wont be as easy or convenient as having the battery sitting out in the engine compartment though. you could always mount some remote jumper terminals on the firewall, or inner fender were the batter normally is...http://www.stefs.com/bandb/products/productpages/jumperterminals.htm I've never used them before but always kept them in mind..

How do those Odessey dry cells do for a daily driver? I thought about using them in the tool box also but the size is throwing me off.

Well I cant really comment on that as mine is still a work in progress. I'm not expecting any issues and I know there are several members here and elsewhere in the automotive community that have used them successfully on their daily drivers. as far as using it in the tool box.... my original plan was to fit it in there but its just slightly too big to fit in there without cutting or modifying the tool box. on this car I'm really trying to cut and modify the shell as little as possible, besides that I figure that for longer road trips and what not it would be nice to have a place to put some spares and tools.

My Odessey sits upright behind the passenger's seat with easy access for cables if necessary. I didn't put it in the tool box because I don't want to puts holes in it for the cables (it will fit). Don't let the size fool you, it performs as well as a full size battery. I've been using mine for a while now with no problems whatsoever. If you want to compare it to something else use the specifics:

680 cranking amps for 5 seconds

595 cranking amps for 10 seconds

525 cranking amps for 20 seconds

John Coffey at betaMotorsports used to carry these batteries as well as a nice aluminum mount, but I don't see them listed on his web site anymore. I still need a better mount for mine.