HybridZ

PPG OMNI, yay or nay?

SonOfZZZap

Well, I have been working on my 280 for some time now. Working on the chassis and patching up rust.

I wanted to look into paint and perhaps goahead and get what I needed. Took a trip to my body supply shop and spoke with a mutual friend there who happens to own it. We matched the paint I am using in the engine bay and he told me that for the price.. PPG OMNI line would be my best bet for a daily driver. I bought the paint, primer/sealer hardener and reducers... (everything I needed) and a quart of semigloss black for a hood stripe I'm planning on doing. Now that I have been reading... there are 50/50 opinions on the paint, some saying it's crap and others not. The guy told me that it would be durable and last as long as I took care of it, kept it washed and waxed (etc..). I am seeking opinions.. because money is rather tight at the moment and I may end up returning it and just doing a primer paint job until I can afford something better.

been discussed so use that good ole search function and you will find alot of great info plus some possible affordable alternatives. Ok paint if its not meant to be a 10 year show car paint job. You can use a cheaper base if you go with one of their better clears and you will get slightly longer lasting results. By the way where in GA are you located and are you going to the SEZ meet?

I've painted two trucks with PPG's Omni line. The paint is an ecomony line of paint and is not durable over time. It will look good for a year or so, but becomes easily oxidized and doesn't hold up as well as a base/clear system.

If the car is nice, I would put it in epoxy primer and save for decent paint. A paint job will only be as nice as the prep and materials you use in it. It's a lot of work to paint a car, and if you're going to go through the effort, why not make it worthwhile.

My 2 cents. :)

Yeah I've searched alot and like I said Ive read mixed reviews. The car is by NO MEANS a show car, I just want it to last 3-5 years. I live in Dalton and I HOPE to bring my Z, if not I am still coming. Thanks for the help though. Oh I forgot to mention it is a single stage paint.

I'm thinking the paint should be fine for me. My prob is that I have never painted before.. Only read and researched.. I have everything but a gun to do it... so I thought it might be nice to try it myself if possible.. keep in touch.

It's a single stage urethane. If you use a metallic color, do not plan on sanding the paint. If you do, chances are that you will be left with a "blotchy" paint job. Basically, you'll be sanding through coats of paint, and unless they are perfectly mixed and applied at the same distance with the same pressue, which is almost impossible, you will get small inconsistencies that will show when you color sand. Basically the paint will look like it has light and dark spots from where you sand through layers of paint.

Omni is affordable and relatively easy to apply but for a couple hundred more you can have a base/clear job, that will last much longer and shine more. The last time I sprayed Omni was 2 years ago on an S-10 and the paint is failing in several spots. If it's a puff and scuff, and sell job, then Omni is the way to go, otherwise go with what the majority of auto manufacturers use on new cars. (Base/ clear)

Good Luck!!!

I painted my 71 C20 with single stage Omni. I was actually more pleased than I had expected to be. It has been a year and it still looks perfect, and I live right near the ocean, so the truck is almost constantly wet.......

Tim