HybridZ

What stand alone ecu is the best for me?

nategdizzle

I have been doing a lot of reading and am trying to find the best stand alone ecu setup for me. I just got everything lined up pretty much i have a 77 280z engine with a 60mm tb, the bigger injectors from a zxt, turbo, intercooler and thats about it for now until i can get some flat tops or stroke it out. I want to run 7-11psi for now. Anyways back to the ecu, I think i want to go with an sds em-6e/msd with a msd 6btm or 6al ignition control. Does anyone have any reasons that i am not aware of for not going with this setup. Or is there a better way to go. I just think that for the price this setup should perform well. Also does it pay off to spend the extra cash on a tec3 or something? One other quick thing will i need a new shaft for my dizzy if i go with this system?

Thanks Guys!!

I was looking at SDS, when I was shopping for stand-alones. However, I discovered that after getting everything I needed, it ended up around the same price for a haltech, which is a superior system imo (def. more features). Tec3 is another 1k or more so that's a different story. Your'e not going to need more features then what haltech has to offer. I don't include sds in that statement because it does not support datallogging, which you may need.

im still a fan of Microtech systems. wiring was simple, tuning isnt that bad as long as you take ur time to read up and etc.

i have a brand new $1300 + dollar unit i used for 2 days o just start my car forsale. its even pre-wired up.

ill let that go for 850 if anybody is intrested.

LT8 with hand held unit.

would love to keep it for another Z project but when you need cash, you need cash.

Haltech is also very good, and so is Tec systems.

mike

I would say megasquirt all the way! Maybe I am just biased because I just installed one, but I think they are great. They are comparable to many of the $1200 controllers for a much cheaper price of $250. If you don't want to do any learning though, I wouldn't recommend it. If you don't mind wading in and giving it a shot, you'll love the fact it works well for a cheap price, and they are always coming out with new functions that it can perform.

-jeremy-