HybridZ

Noob Q? Is there a turbo break in?

Thumper

Ok I have never bought a new turbo before always junkyard or used ones. So my question is there a break in schedule, certain technique, or ritual I need to preform? It is at holset hy35 that was designed to run on a diesel 5.9l v8 at 18psi stock. So running 18psi on my engine is like only running 11psi on the v8. So I am not anywhere near pushing the turbo but just want to make sure and be on the safe side. Thanks for your time.

Turbos do not require break-in' date=' as there is no metal-to-metal contact anywhere in the turbo.

Asad[/quote']

I'm not sure but isn't there metal to metal contact in the turbo bearings? And also and I am worried about the turbo seal. I do not think there is a break in on turbos but i'm not sure either so I'd that I would ask.

Depends what sort of turbo it is. Journal bearing turbos use oil pressure to suspend the turbine shaft so there is no metal-to-metal contact after you have oil pressure, ball bearing cores not so.

Going blindly from memory, my GT35R came with a nice sheet of paper that basically just said make sure it has oil before you start it. So I started my engine up the first time with all lines connected and the turbo sitting on the valance tray. :) FIlled up a little cup of oil quick smart.

I don't believe they require a run-in. As asad said, there is no metal-to-metal SEALING contact in a turbo, such as there is between the rings and bore, so nothing that is required to make a perfect seal before it is given hell. Make sure all the bolts on the housings are nipped up, and give her hell.

Dave

Guest asad137
Depends what sort of turbo it is. Journal bearing turbos use oil pressure to suspend the turbine shaft so there is no metal-to-metal contact after you have oil pressure, ball bearing cores not so.

Yep, thanks for clarifying. Turbo journal bearings are just like main and pin bearings in the engine -- the parts are separated by oil, so there's really nothing to 'break in'.

And, despite the metal-to-metal contact, ball-bearings don't require break-in either, as the balls and races are precision ground already.

Asad