HybridZ

How to cut open 280z gas tank?

VinhZXT

I am getting a gas tank repair kit from POR 15. I have not look at the gas tank yet but anyone knows a trick to cut open the 280Z gas tank and ofcourse it has to allow me to weld it back without a problem? Also what type of welding should be done to put it back? Thanks for the info.

v.

Are you talking about their epoxy sealer stuff? You normally don't cut the tank open for that. I haven't used it but my understanding is that you use the cleaning agent and you just roll it around in the tank, then you do the same with the sealer stuff.

Welding the whole seam around the edge of the tank would be asking for trouble later IMO. If you had to cut a hole that's what I would do. Cut a small hole in the tank and then stick your arm in there if it's absolutely necessary.

As to welding it back up, that's also a tough one. First choice would be tig, but you might be able to mig it up tight so that it doesn't leak. Definitely want to test for leaks if you weld it though. I had a friend mig weld up an oil pan with a more baffled sump and it looked water tight but when he was done it looked like the oil was seeping right through the welds.

Hi Jmortensen,

Thanks for a quick response. I was thinking of taking an extra step by cutting it open and blast the inside of the tank. Put the sealer on and then weld it back together. This is all depends on how to cut open the tank. If cutting around the edge (in the middle section of the tank) and the tank comes apart then welding back will not be a problem as long as I still have the lip around the tank. I guess my question is how the tank welded together from factory? I will inspect the tank carefully before I decide to cut it up. I am sure I will figure out a way to get in there to clean it up without cutting it up.

Also thanks for the tips on the oil pan. I did modified my LS1 oil pan and did some welding on it. I will be watching for any leaks.

Thanks again

v.

the tank is a pair of stamped shells that have flanges around the edges.The flanges were then mechanicly welded together while they lay flat against each other.You may be able to cut the welded portion of the flanges off and pop the two sections apart leaving enough of the flanges intact to re-weld them back together. Take all the usual precausions before you do ANY cutting. Also I would wait until its back together before adding the sealer.

Thanks for the info. That's what I need to know. I will weight my options and decide what I want to do. In the mean time I will check around for a radiator shop to see they can repair the surface rusts I have inside the tank. Thank you all for the response again.

V.

I didnt take any pics but I cut a section out of the top of my tank to determine if it was useable/ scrape crap out of it.. I also welded a sump on it after that.

I also had it sealed when finished, make sure you do it after any welding as that would pretty much fubar the sealant. Im not sure if Im stating the obvious but you mentioned in oppisite order before, so just in case.

and.. this was done with a mig.

Sam

I did cut my tank in half. I cut the top off from the bottom. I sand blasted the inside, than brazed it back together, I but an air hose in the tank and sprayed the outside with soap, fix a couple spots that leaked and afterward poured in the tank sealer. I painted the tank than put it back on. I have not driven the car any yet. Its been sitting with gas in it for several years as I work on it.

One note: There is a very fine brass screen over the intake hose in the tank.

Any tank coating will plug it off guaranteed!!!!

Gas_tank_cut.jpg

I did cut my tank in half. I cut the top off from the bottom. I sand blasted the inside' date=' than brazed it back together, I but an air hose in the tank and sprayed the outside with soap, fix a couple spots that leaked and afterward poured in the tank sealer. I painted the tank than put it back on. I have not driven the car any yet. Its been sitting with gas in it for several years as I work on it.

One note: There is a very fine brass screen over the intake hose in the tank.

Any tank coating will plug it off guaranteed!!!!

Gas_tank_cut.jpg

sitting for years with gas in the tank might lead it to be as bad as having rust in it. a lot of that gas is going to be a varnish like substance that will clog up everything.