HybridZ

Fuel Damper

afbrian13

I finally got my zxt running again. Turns out old sentras (mid 80's) have the same transistor (but different wiring) as the zx turbos. Now I'm back to the same old problem of running way to rich. Floods out at idle.lets see, heres the listall electrical connections cleanedall sensors tested and/or replaced with known good onesengine ran great when it was still in the zxt. All the turbo wiring.what is the difference between the z and zxt fuel pumps?what does the fuel damper actually due, and can i turn the fuel psi up and down with it?the car runs smooth when i rev it up to where the boost comes on, but it still smokes like hell.no exhaust past downpipe if that mattersthanks for the help. ps-don't need the usual check your connections post

• 2 months later...

isn't there also an anti drainback valve in it? just for the record, my stock 77 280z pump put 45psi to the fuel rail (i have a gauge there) with the engine off...since it never ran with that setup, i don't know if that would have changed once the pressure regulator started to get a vacuum signal.

*edit* : i just checked my haynes manual, and it had this to say under fuel damper, removal and refitting: "the purpose of this device is to even out any pulsations in the fuel lines"

from the fuel injection bible:

"from the fuel pump, fuel flows to a fuel "damper," mounted right next to the pump. The damper acts like a shock absorber. It has a diaphragm which is under spring pressure. If the fuel pump puts out pressure surges then these surges push against the diaphragm and are absorbed by the spring instead of makeng them felt all the way to the injectors and thus possibly affecting engine performance."

"the fuel damper also acts as a muffler - that is, it keeps the pressure surges from making noises which could be heard by the driver."

I had about half of it right :)