HybridZ

rusted out below door

Guest SouthGaZX

Guest SouthGaZX

the z i own now.. the guy who owned it before me said he had ground effects on the side.. its rusted completely through in numerious spots under the door i guess where the side ground effects were.. its kind of a curved shape.. how do i need to replace the metal? is there a replacement panel for it.. or do i have to just wing it and weld in what patches i can and shape them the best i can? i have pictures but geocities takes FOREVER to upload my pics..

tabco makes replacement rockers. if it's rotted there it's likely rotted elsewhere. get a weak fridge magnet and a screw driver and start poking around. use the magnet in areas that are prone to rust and place it on the body. if it's loaded with bondo the magnet will not stick. any paint bubbles should be probbed with the pick/screw driver any rot you find will need to be cut out and replaced with raw sheet metal formed to fit or replacement panels from tabco or another supplier.

Guest SouthGaZX

ok thanks guys... i know this has probably been beat to death.. but what would you suggest as a good welder to do this job? i dont know what gauge any of the sheetmetal on the car is.. and i dont want to spend over 3-400 bucks.. i know i'd probably just need a mig.. but what size would you recommend? i looked at harbor freight but i dont know... thanks again.. (not trying to turn this into a "my welder is better than your's" type thread)