HybridZ

GM 350ci/290hp crate engine

Hello Everyone,

Let me first introduce myself here as this is my first post. Some of you I have talked with over PM's and email and you have helped a ton. I took someones advice last November to "search before posting on the forums" and well, its been 3 months.

I was wondering who has the GM crate engine thats rated at 290hp in their Z. After lots of searching I think this might be the best route to go for a reliable engine that I can build up to have a weekend driver, occansional track car. If anyone does have this engine I'd like to talk with them and see how it is working out.

Thanks guys,

-Joe

First, let me say I don't have the 350/290hp engine in my Z. With that said I would encourage you to use the $2200 (or 1600 if you just buy the engine only and not the package) and put it towards something that you would like later. If you buy this engine and build it up later I guarantee you that the only thing you will use is the intake, block, maybe crank, and maybe rods. Besides the air gap intake, the heads on this thing are crap for performance. The compression (pistons) is crap for performance, you might be able to put 64cc heads on it and get it closer to the compression you would want. Lastly, the cam is crap for performance.

If you have the money and you just want a reliable engine and don't care about modifying it in the future then sure get this engine. Otherwise I would advise you to look elsewhere. Actually if you have the money and want a reliable crate engine get the Ram Jet 502... :mrgreen:

BTW, welcome to the site.

Thanks.

I was looking for something to put in with relatively good horsepower for my first car restoration, if you will... I was planning on heads and cam swap, then maybe pistons later on. I would love to get a custom engine, just dont have the money. Also, I have some time I need to save up, so thats why I'm trying to figure out some routes now.

So for anyone who can help... my goals are.

1.Reliable every weekend, maybe some week days driver.

2.Maybe once a month or every other month track driver.

3.Stop some rice pride in my town.

4. Eventually 350Hp

5. Well rounded in all aspects of performance.

290 hp is the rating with a set of full length headers which is a hard thing to get into a V8 Z in the set back position (JTR conversion). With block huggers it will be lower, like 275 or 280.

Still, not a bad engine for a 3.54 gear and automatic trans. Should be able to run some 14 flat at 100mph, 1/4 miles.

A mild cam swap (268 duration) and some mild bowl work on the heads could get you easily into the 320 hp range. Maybe mid 13's at 105mph

Then later swap to a set or vortec heads (64cc) and gain compression and air flow. Should net at least 350 hp. Maybe high 12's at 110.

Go to chevyhiperformance.com and look up their old tech articles. They did a 8 part, 350 goodwrench engine build up. They ended up with over 500 hp.

For exhaust, I would recommend Hooker Header Super Comp Block Huggers with 2.5" pipes, Y'd into a single 3 inch pipe right before the diff, then a single 3" dynomax muffler.

And use a Holley or Q jet carb with a mallory comp110 fuel pump.

Avoid the carter/edelbrocks carbs and holley pumps.

good luck

Welcome, Joey.

Since you've been searching a while, you have probably noticed Grumpyvette's posts. He's posted quite a few engine combinations and sources over the years, and is worth a dedicated search session both here and at chevytalk.org (where he's a moderator). One caveat- many of the cams he recommends are fairly serious- not mileage grinds. (If this is a weekend only car that may not be a concern).

Since you are in CA, Mike (Wolfplace) is a machinist in Mendocino county who is well repected on on chevelles.com. You might want to ask him about a 383 short block or engine that fits your needs... you never know until you ask. Here's his home page: http://www.lewisracingengines.com/pages/702073/index.htm

He has a rep for decent prices on aftermarket heads as well.

Luck with your project!:icon6:

Thank you.

Pyro, that is the route I was planning to take: cam, AL heads, block huggers, and exhaust meeting after tranny (debating the muffler issue... :mrgreen:). I don't know my budget, but I'd say about $6,000 for engine, tranny, R200 and the othe small stuff that adds up. (I estimate a year until I get the time and money and knowledge to do this)

Olphart, yes I have seen many of his posts! He is amazing! I will be doing a lot more reseach then PMing him, and some others. Thank you for that site, I will look into that asap.

Your transmission of choice will be an experience in itself. Most stock units will die young in a performance vehicle.

That said, it is what I'll be running. I recommend the overhaul and modification book available through Chris at ckperformance.com. He wrote the book, and makes a lot of parts to help them live. From the factory very few 200R4s had decent shifts... basically the Buick grand nationals (BQ, BRF coded trannys, the Hurst Olds (OZ, OZF? coded) Monte Carlo SS (CZ?, CZF) and the turbo Trans Am whose code I forget altogether. A lot of the garden varieties short shift to second, and their governers are set for around 3000RPM max (auto shifting) rather than about 5000. All 200R4s have a tag on the passenger side near the output shaft with the code on it. As I recall, pre 84 trannies are to be avoided, and the latest ones had a few better parts as GM got wise.

Here is a good basic rebuild parts list: http://turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139593.

and some other stuff you may find interesting:

recent post on tools http://turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174820&highlight=tools

Another Tool thread http://turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169654

a 'first rebuild' thread http://turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104751&highlight=tool+reverse+ebay

the other manual http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-200-4R-ATSG-Transmission-Service-Repair-Manual_W0QQitemZ7996770170QQcategoryZ33727QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

One Guys howto http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/transmission/200rebld.html

The easiest way to make a good shifting 200R4 is to pick up a Caddy with an AA/ AAF tag and buy a shift kit from Chris. You will need a larger 2nd gear servo. I recommend using only the wide red Alto band and Alto red clutches. For real power there are mods to add a clutch disc for OD and to dual feed the direct clutch (that mod will break a stock trans, requires some aftermarket bits).

WOW--- An entire post just hanging out there, unrelated to anything you mentioned. :-(. Shall we blame it on beer, dislexia, reading too fast for my brain to keep up, or just the aging process? Guess I took R200 as 200R4- I do almost see them in my sleep. I'm leaving the post as it could conceivably help someone who searches.

HTH.

Gotta crunch some numbers for different engine options..

Tranny wise, I want a 5 or 6 speed. Hoping for a WC T-5, but wondering about the torque ratings... (I'm hoping for about 350hp eventually, and not sure about what torque will be there but I'm guessing low 400's.) T-56 I'm guessing is about 60 pounds heavier and needs more modifications to install.. Anyone else have some more opinions to add, go right ahead.

Just so you guys know, I've been planning for 3 months, and not going to purchase for another 6 at least! (getting my homewok done)

I have the 290 hp crate motor from GM. For me it was the simplicity and cost. I paid $1400 out the door plus tax. Several routes you can take as you can tell from above. As far as the Lingenfelter goes, you ought to see his parking lot of projects! My god if that isn't inspiration I don't know what is. Vetts, Vipers, H2's, Jags.......and not a one is slow!

buy a 350 hp crate motor for GM and and something like a TKO 5 speed. dont knowingly buy a crate motor that you are going to upgrade later on... with motors its not so much the componets, but how well they work together.. a crate 350hp motor will be much nicer, more reliable and get better gas milage and be faster than if you tried to come up with a set up on your own. my .02

i do not see you in any way being happy with buying a motor that you plan on modifying before you even get it..