HybridZ

Tinted Clearcoat

EvilRufusKay

Pearl and Kandy coats are applied like that.

I thought about it with my car. We even shot a couple test panels, but in the end it didn't look any better to me (yes it was different and good but so was the "plain gray" I went with) and would just be a hellish nightmare if we ever had to match it later.

I tried to look for something like that but with no luck. Closest thing I can get to a tinted clear was to mix some acrylic paints together. I had to put a little bit of red (eye droper amount) because when the black color was thinned out it looked kinda greenish.

If you are going to try this, mix a sample amount and measure ratio amounts so you can mix another batch closest to it. Spray/ pour some of it on some white poster board so you can see what color needs to be added, should spray on must ligher than how it shows up on poster board.

My 2001 Millenium Yellow Corvette is painted like that. The paint is applied in multiple steps. First there is a yellow base coat, then a tinted yellow clear coat, and then it is topped off with a basic clear coat. So, I'd check with your local paint shop and what kind of custom tint they could create based on the Corvette technique.

Well, I know you can add pearl of whatever color to your clearcoat instead of the base coat. when the light hit the curves of the car, it gives the effect of "gas on water" of the color you chose. I used to have a "kawasaki green" VW Rabbit with a darker green pearl added to the last layer of clear. You only add it to the last coat, this way, if you have to repaint some dammage, instead of trying to match the paint, you just lightly water sand off the first layer

and spray the whole car again.

RacerX - Thanks man that is just what I am looking for!!

if it's colored it's not truly clear... but i know what you're getting at

Quite right. Here is the deal. I have some rims that I painted a metallic Blue and they look pretty cool... but they would look really cool if they were just a shade darker.

I started thinking about candy types of paint jobs and I thought of a bike I used to have. The previous owner had a candy orange paint job done with flames. What was cool was that the painter used an acetylene torch with just the acetylene on (makes huge amounts of black smoke) and held it under the inverted tank (flames still taped off).

The result was that the flames were made of just the smoke and you could see the orange underneath... it was super sweet... too bad it was a Virago.

So that is what I would like to do, use the blue as a base but then coat it with a uniform (the flames were not uniform in tone) smoke. Thoughts?