HybridZ

first post...want a 240ZV8...know nothing...got questions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i currently have a '97 Honda Prelude type-SH...but it just isn't me.

i could sell my lude for ~$17K...what could i do with a Z for that much money?

how much for car? engine/tranny swap? suspension? SAFETY!? basically the whole package

could a 240ZV8be made for RELIABLE daily-driving?

also, is there anything i need to know before i get into something like this?

thanks,

-Chris

mxyzptlk@home.com

Guest Anonymous

Hah! At least you admit you know basically nothing! Most people try and make themselves out to be know-it-alls!

For $17k you could get one absolute badass Z already built and in great shape and have lots of money left over. Given your knowledge, I'd go that route and then you can learn while you drive. Myron's car that was just for sale comes to mind.... as do the trickle of cars that pop up for sale on here. It's also cheaper than building your own, so you're pretty much coming out ahead in all categories! And it'll squash the prelude in every performance category without even trying!

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

If you can get $17K for the car, do it! First buy the JTR V8 conversion manual and read it cover to cover at least twice. As Morgan pointed out, you can easily purchase a V8Z for much less than $17K ($3000-$7000) and still have money left over. Or, you could build one yourself. One thing many guys do is drop too much engine in their project before ever riding in a "mild" V8Z in the first place. There are quite a few V8Z cars out there in TX; see if you can hook up with someone first to get a good idea of the direction you want to go.

Guest Anonymous

If I were you I would buy a already running z. Then you wouldn't have to do all the work. They can be a lot of work until you get them the way you like them. Also, if you do the work yourself, you will never be done, (that's my problem). As mentioned, you will crush your prelude in all performance catagories. I raced my best friend this weekend, and he has a 94 si prelude, and I smoked him. Wasn't even close. Did the 1/4 and was probably 10-12 car lengths ahead of him. And I have a tame z, compared to lots of the guys on here. Well, just wanted to voice my 2c

sean

------------------

"I feel the need, the need for speed!!"

"Don't hate the player, hate the game!"

quote:

Originally posted by Mxyzptlk:

i currently have a '97 Honda Prelude type-SH...but it just isn't me.

i could sell my lude for ~$17K...what could i do with a Z for that much money?

could a 240ZV8be made for RELIABLE daily-driving?

-Chris

Chris,

Its nice to see a Honda Convert jump ship to the Hotrod crowd; congratulations!

As for your first question $17k would get you an extremely complete pkg. Your second question about reliability depends on how extreme or conservative of a car you want & how you choose to drive that car.

As far as little/big things you'ld need to know; there are always things to know when transplanting a powertrain from one species to another. I'ld suggest calling JTR (Jags That Run) as it was their kit/book that really made the swap handle properly. In their book they explain the basics & point our what wires are needed; as well as brake hook ups.

The comments you find on this cite; IMHO far exceed where JTR left off, however, having their book in front of you will offer a point of reference; a common ground. Once you've read their book-it will all make sence to you.

JTR's address & Ph# is:

Stealth Conversions

Datsun Z V8 Parts

PO Box 11411

Pleasanton, CA 94588....ph#510.462.3619

Stealth Conversions is also on the Net: just do a search for V8z's & their cite will pop up.

If you're interested in how much $$'s it will or could take, go back to the Chevy V8 Tech Forum on HybridZ & click on the 2nd page; scroll down till you come to a thread entitled "Some Mondy Figures". This thread should give you some insight as to what you could eventually spend.

The bottom line is; what are your skills-what part of the process can you do yourself & how much of the conversion will you have to farm out. What used parts can you live with -vs- Must Have New. How many Hi/Po parts or weight reducing (Alluminum) parts do you want.

The first step to recovery is realizing you have a problem; realizing you need a V8z as opposed to a stock Honda is your first step....consider HybridZ the rest of your 24 step program......you're on your way!

[This message has been edited by Kevin Shasteen (edited February 12, 2001).]

Hrm, do you REALLY want this as a daily driver? Done right it could get decent MPG, handle like mad, and be pretty reliable - but for daily use? Rust is a big issue with these cars, buy one in great shape, drive it in the saltsnow, and pretty soon you'l have BIG problems. You're in Texas so that shouldn't be a big deal but A/C sure will be! Finding a car just the way you want it will take some time and I'd say go for it but be realistic about it's daily use. Perhaps a small commuter as a primary and the Z as a fun secondary? For 17K you could certainly have both IMO.

Chris,

How long have you lived in Richardson; I lived in Richardson in the late 60's to early 70's; went to Richardson Heights up to 4th grade.

If/when you decide to look for a doner car (providing you want to do the conversion yourself) be sure & check Hybridz's Buy/Sell Forum & check in on all the other Z-club sites in their Buy/Sell Forums also. You can also go to Auto Trader on the Net & confine your search to 70-73240z's for a nation wide search...there are some pretty decent bodies out there & there are some pretty rusted parts cars out there.

Good luck & have fun & ask lots of questions.

You will do much better if you buy a car that is not advertised by some specialty car place--we have a few around here in the SF Bay Area and they are ALWAYS over priced IMO. Myron's car looked to be every bit as nice as that and his was faster (I think) before the recent engine swap. Be patient and keep looking, or build it yourself.

welcome, and good luck!

i too am planning on using a v8z as a daily... i don't see a problem with it, other than the rust issue (and maybe getting it insured for what it's actually worth...) the big kicker for me is that you can, in theory, build a car that has 300hp, gobs of torque, handles like mad, and gets 30mpg (well, if you stay out of the city). i love lightweight rwd platforms smile.gif

That particular car wouldn't be my 1st pick, although it had some tastey treats bolted on it. Check the 4sale section here as at least one other member is selling his V8Z and it is a nice Viper Blue with White Stripes and the porice is very modest for the package @ $4000!

Mike

One other point about that Z (by the way its a very sweet looking Z) is that he spent so much money in his engine & all he got out of it was 385hp(?)!

W/half the cost of what he's got in his engin & very little massaging of the SBC motor: you could easily obtain 400hp; and at a lower comp.ratio & lower rpm as well as reaching higher torque at a lower rpm than the inline 6.

All you would need for a V8 to make that kind of power (385hp) is:

1) 355 V8...only 9.5:1 Comp.Ratio

2) 268H Comp Cam

3) AFR Alluminum Cyl.Heads

4) Edelbrock (DUAL PLANE MANIFOLD)

other than a mild street porting of the cyl.heads to clean the ports up the rest of the machine work would be rather routine. That engine should make right at 380hp @ 5400rpms while peak torque comes in at 401 @ 4100rpm's. You would have money left over compared to the amount spent on making the inline 6 perform the way it did.

I gaurantee you that inline 6 putting out 385hp doesnt have a comp.ratio lower than 10.0:1. Also notice he was bragging about the hp but didnt say anything about the torque(?).

The above SBC engine I described could easily make another 30-40hp if you wanted a drag car: simply go up to a higher 292H Comp Cam, bump the comp.ratio to 10.5:1 & use an Edelbrock Single Plane Manifold-of course the engine wouldnt be a daily driver-but you see my point: SBC Hi/Po aftermarket parts are by way cheaper & more plentiful than Datsun/Nissan Hi/Po parts & its easier to reach your goal on a SBC than an inline 6.

One last point: 400hp is just barely beginning to scrape the power potential for a SBC, therefore, a 400hp SBC engine is going to be pretty dependable: whereas, a 385hp inline 6 is going to be pretty temperamental-very stressed out engine.

Still, the car is a sweet looking Z.

[This message has been edited by Kevin Shasteen (edited February 13, 2001).]

Kevin - it's a turbo Z so I'm sure the compression isn't sky high. (shrug) Very pretty, same color as my RX7, same wheels as on my Z. Heh, I paid less than that for the RX7 too smile.gif I'm pretty sure the RX7 would outbrake and outhandle it but I'm not sure about outrun.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks. I'd be afraid to drive that car daily as I know some jerk would trash it just for fun. That's the sad part about buying or building something nice like that - I have to park my cars way out just to avoid door dings and watch the driveway liek a hawk.

Just my .02 cents here. My 260 V8 Z has 350 with flat tops and dart big valve heads with a big bump stick etc. and I drove it daily for 3 months straight this year since my other Z was apart. If it is put together properly and maintained it is a good daily driver. I am running urethane bushings all around and KYB silver series struts and the crappy roads here are not too much for it. Looking for a rigid and reinforced floor pan is a main key in finding a good Z. Be picky when buying or U will be in for a lot of work. Good luck! wink.gif

------------------

The only stupid question is one you wanted to ask but never did!!!

http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/andrewzcars

Drewz