HybridZ

air filters for custom installs

the old huge k&n i had on my 77z with 81 zxt engine wont fit in the space that i needed it to be in after megasquirt and intercooler install.clamping a filter on the turbo wont work since i run a/c/.went on k&n website-site is very good .found a filter and ordered it directly from the site.after i cut and weld some of that old ford diesel f250 intercooler piping i will have an air filter.if you go on the k&n website you can look in the universal section and find something to fit.

• 1 year later...

Randy,

Got any pics of this setup. I was looking at K&N generic filters last night trying to find one that fits my application. I have A/C also with the L28ET in the 280Z. Goin megasquirt and I am in the same boat as you were back in 3/06.

I am afraid that the ex. manifold will melt/burn the K&N if I mount it right on the turbo.

Opinions needed. Would this be ok for an L28ET making about 320rwhp? I figure because it is full stainless, it wont melt if I stick it on the turbo inlet. Eventually I may run it out front as a cold air intake but for now I will just stick it on the 3" inlet of the TO4B.

According to math it has roughly 100 square inches of area ignoring the pleats. That would be equivalent to a flat pleated filter of larger than a sheet of paper. 9"x11" or so

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8003460294&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr8_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=290100881535&itemcount=8&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

That filter will work fine for well over 320WHP. If you get one, let us know what you think.

Sometimes when dyno tuning if we run out of things to do (car is done, and ready to come off the dyno), I'll take the one of these cone type air filters off to see if there is any noticable difference in power. On all occasions, there was no measurable difference between no filter, or a K&N. All were turbo charged. My car runs 2.25" IC tubing, with a 2.25" inlet K&N filter just in front of the radiator support. No difference in power with or without it.

• 2 weeks later...

We thought about putting the filter in front of the rad, but instead went with a 2.5" pipe and managed to get both IC pipes and air intake through the rad support. You can check out our turbo swap at http://www.patch-marketing.com/280z.htm. We're only making estimated 220 rwhp right now, but Megasquirt coming this summer.....