HybridZ

Alum. Radiators

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello everyone out there. I'm looking to put a Alum Radiator in my 82 280zx. I have heard that Griffin makes one. I was wondering is this a direct bolt in replacement, or does it require modification to it to fit? Thanks for any info out there.

Sean

------------------

"I feel the need, the need for speed!!"

"Don't hate the player, hate the game!"

Sean,

I think you will have to fabricaket brackets for it, buit it isn't a huge undertaking. Just make sure the aluminum doesn't make direct contact with any of the metal in the core support. You don't want to wear a hole in the new aluminum!

'

I highlky recommend the 2 row 1inch or larger tubing radiator made by Griffin. I have the 1.25 inch tube unit and it is nice! However, mine is a 260Z, and I have no idea what size will fit a ZX!

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

I bought and then returned Griffin's 26" x 19" radiator recently. I can't remember the part number but it was their basic model. My car is a 79 so I don't know if there are any changes in measurements. The 26 x 19 fit beautifully. However, I wanted to mount a Flexalite dual fan arrangement on it but the lower right hose attachment point on the radiator is angled somewhat (not perpendicular to the radiator) which interfered with mounting the dual fans. I decided to spend some more time thinking about options and returned the radiator and fan to Summit. I thought it was a bit cheesy, though, that the radiator didn't have a drain **** on it. Ross Corrigan in Vancouver has a Griffin radiator. My car has AC and power steering so it's more cramped in the engine compartment than his.

John Haag

quote:

Originally posted by jhaag:

I bought and then returned Griffin's 26" x 19" radiator recently. The 26 x 19 fit beautifully. However, I wanted to mount a Flexalite dual fan arrangement on it but the lower right hose attachment point on the radiator is angled somewhat (not perpendicular to the radiator) which interfered with mounting the dual fans. My car has AC and power steering so it's more cramped in the engine compartment than his.

John Haag

yes, I'm running the 26x19 with 2 rows of their 1.25" tubes. My front area is WIDE open so no problem with that angle John mentions. Even if you did have a conflict you can have an outlet rewelded whereever/however you like for not much dough. It is a pissoff they don't have a drainplug though and I wish I'd had one put in last time I had it out and had some alum. flatstock welded on it for easy tabs. They're a great deal IMO and you'll not need any more radiator:-) Mine was creeping above my thermostat ONCE and it was bugging me, checked water pump/hoses.....nothing...finally opened rad cap...less than half full!! Yeah, it works OK smile.gif Griffin is great for info but not cheap, buy it from Summit or a local rod shop. A local shop beat summit and I also got the trans cooler installed ($40 AIR?), if not that I'd look at an oil cooler. It's great to have fluid/fluid interfaces so all fluids warm up ASAP and at extremes can help temper one another as well...I run ATF to a HUGE front cooler and then into rad cooler and back to trans. Stops fluid from ever returning too cold or so I think. ATF too cold is as bad as tooo hot. Ideally I'll get a temp bypass valve sometime here.

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.