HybridZ

EVO 4g63?

dosquattro

Do any mitsu rwd trans bolt to this like the mighty max does with the normal eclipse 4G63. Or is the EVO 4G63 a completely didn't ball of wax all together since it's mounted in the opposite direction compared to the normal 4g63's? That way I wouldn't have to modify the intake manifold since the throttle body is aimed at the firewall? Just curious otherwise I'll just start my project fund for a 6 bolt 4g63 and a mighty max tranny. Thank god for the local pick and pull only charges 150 for any longblock in the yard no matter what it is. There's a 1UZ-FE there also but I don't feel like even messing around this that.

I looked into this for a while. its a fun little engine if it is built properly. There have been problems with crank walk when you get around 325hp but its avoidable by getting forged internals. Otherwise, about the the trans, mighty max is all you got for a straight bolt on. There is a guy who matted a 4863t to a toyota five speed and put it in a rock crawler out west, and there is info out there that provides info that would could lead to you places that have made bellhousing adapters for such a swap. If patience, time and money, anrent an issue, Id love to see this swap done. Here is a link to that guys swap in the rock crawler.

http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73227&highlight=RWD+4G63

Link didn't work for me. I know the mighty max tranny works with the starion/conquest flywheel and clutch but I'm talking about the EVO's 4g63 since it's different from the old 4g63. If I got a 4G63 then it'd be from a 90-94 with the 6 bolt crank so I wouldn't have to worry about crank walk issues. I wonder if the bottom ends are the same then could just swap the new EVO head onto the 6 bolt shortblock. The montero 2.4 shortblock with a 4G63 head is pretty tempting also.

Link didn't work for me. I know the mighty max tranny works with the starion/conquest flywheel and clutch but I'm talking about the EVO's 4g63 since it's different from the old 4g63. If I got a 4G63 then it'd be from a 90-94 with the 6 bolt crank so I wouldn't have to worry about crank walk issues. I wonder if the bottom ends are the same then could just swap the new EVO head onto the 6 bolt shortblock. The montero 2.4 shortblock with a 4G63 head is pretty tempting also.

There is a 2.0 4g63 that came in several mighty max pickups. There are fairly rare and the tranny that you would want to mate with it would not be a StarQuest tranny. The StarQuest tranny is brittle past 350hp and like one of the earlier posts said there is a way to mate a Mitsu bellhousing with I believe a Mazda B2000 tranny. The myth of the crankwalk in 4g63s is commonly blown out of proportion. I have had several high mileage 7 bolt 4g63 Eclipses that have shown no sign of crankwalk. Also if you are serious about attempting anything Mitsu lemme know and I can give you some items to look for at the junkyards to make a low dollar 2.3 stroker kit.

There are two different blocks for the 4G family engines. One is the Narrow block that most are familiar with, and there is a 'wide' block that little people have known about until recently. Enter the B2600. Mazda's B2600 had a Mitsubishi made 2.6l bottom end in the 87-88 trucks. This is the same as the Starion 2.6l, but the kicker is that they all share the same bellhousing housing bolt locations. So in essence any Mits motor with the wide block config will bolt to any B2600 trans. Now the B2600 is an R series trans, the same as the TII and the FD. Swap the B2600 bellhousing to the TII or FD trans and bolt to a wideblock 4G. This has all been recently discovered, there are a couple people in the process now of hammering out the fine details. The bonuses are a couple good things. Like a 240mm clutch setup as opposed to the narrow 225mm setup. The best to me is the fact it's built out of cheap parts and less custom fabrication.