HybridZ

Mechanical Water temp gauge sensor location

olie05

Last night I installed a mechanical water temp gauge in my car. I used the heater outlet on the head for the sensor, since the adapter I had threaded right in, but now I am wondering if that was the smartest place to put it. By putting the sensor there, i blocked off any water that would normally escape through there. Will this cause an extreme inbalance in the front to back cooling of my engine? The temp gauge is reading 160 normally and 180 under hard acceleration or just stopped while running.

autometergauge1.JPG

oh yeah, check out my superghetto install...

autometergauge.jpg

DUCT TAPE!!!

oh yeah, and one more question... where do I tap into the rheostat wiring so that i can get the gauge to light up with the dash lights?

You should'nt have a coolant flow issue.... except you won't have a heater feed. The only thing I can tell you, and this may be a good thing, is with the sensor at the rear of the head as opposed to the stock forward location, the temperature is likely a bit higher at the rear of the head as opposed to the front of the head. So, gauge readings may be slightly higher than if the sensor was in the front of the head. If you have an electric fan and it is activated by the sensor you should see little if any difference in the gauge readings.

• 2 weeks later...

update... I installed the gauge in the clock hole, sorry no pics, but needless to say it is a temporary install. I simply fit the gauge into the hole by surrounding the edges with foam insulation. The gauge is lit up now, with the dash wiring of the clock.

The problem now, is that i want to get a gauge that fits into the hole ( 2-5/8" vs. 2-1/16") I am looking at two gauges, but I cant decide. If i go with the electrical one (first pic), the needle will be pointing past the halfway point most of the time and there is a possibility of maxing out the gauge ( i think), and if i go with the mechanical one (second pic) the needle will be pointing at below the halfway point most of the time. I guess my question is what is the operating range that i need to monitor?

rtjn6a.jpg

or:

rtjnfr.jpg

bump... no response?

i think i am going to go with a pair of nordskog gauges with seperate warning lights, One gauge for oil pressure and one for water temp. Any thoughts on these electric gauges, and their sending units?