HybridZ

Colored Tailights

xxjoeyxxeb

Hey,

I love how some older cars have tailights with a purplish tint to them when they apply their brakes. Is this just because they have a purple light bulb with the stock red tail light lens? I was thinking about doing this effect on my Z since I have them apart and cleaning them up now. Anyone got them?

Guest 73TPIZ

Those are called Blue Dot taillights or Blue Dot conversions. May have been factory on the 20s and 30s cars. These days people buy the glass dots, drill a hole in the taillight directly over the bulb and glue them in. Gives a purple look when lit.

These on eBay are a Mr Gasket brand, which means you could probably get your local parts house to order them. Part #5101 in the photo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-pair-of-Blue-Dot-tail-light-lens-inserts-w-chrome_W0QQitemZ8046084947QQcategoryZ33716QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Keep in mind I think they are illegal in most states. And if they were only illegal in 1 state, it would be California.

I'm sure these days you could find an 1156 or 1157 bulb in blue which would probably give the same effect.

Good luck and welcome to HybridZ.

Guest 73TPIZ

The blue bulbs would be as bright as the clear. They're not painted over glass but actually blue transparent glass bulbs. I just searched eBay with keywords "1157 blue" and got 51 hits. Even got an LED blue bulb that would plug into an 1157 socket. Check it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1157-Blue-Lights-19-LED-2-Bulbs-TurnSignal-BackUP-Tail_W0QQitemZ8044205064QQcategoryZ33713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Guest 73TPIZ

As a rule, LEDs use much less current than regular bulbs. So much so, that often if you install LEDs on newer cars, the car's bulb monitoring system will think a bulb is burnt out and tell you so. Companies often sell resistors along with LEDs to splice into the wiring to use more juice and fool the computer.

Good luck with it.