HybridZ

Opinions on parts for SR20DET?

BelgianZ

Hello,

I'm quite new to this part of the forum since I had my mind set on upgrading my 240Z from a 3.1 litre stroker to a SBC. However since I am in Europe and all great engine builders in America, transportation costs would be too much money lost. I have totally no experience with Nissan 4 cylinder engines and the SR20-forum didn't supply much info (except for many people bragging with (genuine) horsepower numbers. Is there a GrumpyVette-kind-a-person here who knows everything about these engines, or are there no real (professional) engine builders on this forum?

I have completely restored my car, but it's still waiting for an engine. My goal is to get a really strong bottom end and continue building it from there (I want lots of horsepower, but low lag, like-standard reliability, no cats or other restrictions and 300 whp to begin with). Is there a consensus on parts quality as there is for Chevrolet engines or does everyone just guess?

These are the parts I need advice on:

1) Crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons

2) Turbochargers (with minor turbo lag)

3) Head components

4) Engine electronics (though already discussed in another thread)

To summarize: who are the best parts manufacturers? Are they within the budget of a non-millionaire? Do you have personal experiment (good or bad) with them?

Thanks,

K.

For 300whp you dont really have to build the engine at all, you can just get a new oem water pump, new oem oil pump, and then get some bigger injectors 550cc and a garretty gt2871r with the .64 a/r. Then find the standalone EMS you want to use and put it on the dyno.

For more than 300whp, start goin with ARP Main bolts, Eagle or Carillo rods, you can choose from JE, Wiseco, CP and Arias pistons, a metal headgasket (Apex'i, greddy, hks, tomei), Might want to think about going solid pivot head instead of hydraulic so that the lifters dont start coming out at higher rpms even though rocker arm stoppers can prevent that, but have not always been able to. HKS Step 2 cams or Tomei Procams, titanium valve springs and retainers, more than 550cc injectors if your going to start pushing over 350whp, if your going to go over 400whp, you might want to forget about trying to get a minimal lag turbo, since most the turbos at that point start coming on to hard power at about 4k rpm, but if the head is built and the bottom end is as well then you can probably rev to about 8500rpm+.

Thanks Alex,

That's the sort of info I was looking for. The reason I want a strong bottom end is not for the 300hp mentioned. I just don't want to tear the entire engine apart every time I upgrade engine output (with another turbo, wastegate, etc).

Do you have an opinion on reliability of tuned (>350whp) or is that an issue when they are professionally built? www.norrisdesigns.com is just across the channel, they seem to be a great option for Europe customers.

A la prochaine fois,

K.