HybridZ

Help wanted fats. regarding r230

Guest makkan

Guest makkan

Hello!!

just talked to a guy about a diff from a 300zxtt, i think it was from a 92-94??

It seemed like he didn´t actually knew what he was selling.

But i´m going to get to him and look at it. Now to the problem: I´m no expert in seeing the difference between different diffs (that was a strange sentence). I´m no expert in talking or writing english either, as you can see...

Is there any good trix to see that this is the right diff for me??

I don´t want to go 250km to buy a diff, and then when i´m home see it´s the wrong diff...

I would be very happy if someone could send pictures and point out what i should looking for!!!

best regards

Markus Harström

Guest makkan

yes, i ment fast not fats =) i wrote too fast or fats =) =)

because he didn´t knew more about the r230 diff than me, i just want to be sure that it is the correct diff i´m going to buy...

My car: datsun 240Z. chevy 355, th700.

I can use the original 300zx rear brakes on my car too`??

regards

Guest makkan

The diff i want to buy from that "i don´t know a ****" guy, is taken from a 300zxTT. 1992-94?

I just want some info, so i can identify his diff. So i don´t end up buying something i can´t use...

I have never looked at a r230 diff, so i can´t separate it from a chevy blazer diff...

Hi Makkan,

First off, all of my info is based on Z cars imported to the US. I don't know how Nissan equipped the cars for Sweden. My guess is they didn't change the diffs for different countries. But no guarantees.

The 240's were all equipped with long nose R180s. An R180 in good condition behind an automatic tranny can hold up very well to a strong sbc 350. I know guy on this board that drags his 11 second Z with an R180 and no problems.

The 280's came with long nose R200's and those can handle even more power, up to 400hp and are a direct bolt in swap for the R180.

The later Z32, '90-'96 300ZX and other Infinity models came with the R230 and R200 short nose. The R230 will handle... who knows. Has anyone broke one of these diff's? The R230 is NOT a bolt in swap and requires fabricating mounts and buying or fabricating half shaft adapters.

If you know all this already sorry for covering old ground. If this is new to you I strongly suggest you spend some time in the archives here searching for threads on the R230 swap. There is lots of great info here for the picking.

Reading is free, buying the wrong diff will cost you.:burnout:

Check out this thread. The R230 is the diff on the right. It has 6 bolt flanges...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103512

The later Z32, '90-'96 300ZX and other Infinity models came with the R230 and R200 short nose. The R230 will handle... who knows. Has anyone broke one of these diff's? The R230 is NOT a bolt in swap and requires fabricating mounts and buying or fabricating half shaft adapters.

There is a guy on 300ZXclub putting down over 700 RWHP in a Z32 with no diff issues.

I am putting a Z32TT rear diff in my project 240. I think I am going to build a cradle to hold it like another member did. I never have liked the "hung" mounting of the rear diff on the old Z's. The R230 is a monster diff, and you have to clearance the body quite a bit just to get it to fit and not hangout the bottom of the car, and to keep your half-shaft angles at a tolerable level.

So Makken, are you asking weither the R230 will "Bolt in" to you 240z? The short answer is no. BUT we have guys here that did install them in their 240z's with fabricated mounts and modified axels/cv's. Do a search on R230 and you'll get a ton of answers.:mrgreen:

Guest makkan

ok, thank you for your answers.

the reason to why i want to have a r230 diff is because my 355 have 400hp, and i have plans for nitro. And diffs is about the most boring part i know in a car... So i just want to do the work once...

will the diff come up in the trunk?

Or what did you mean with making clearance?

//