HybridZ

Clutch master cylinder sizing

Guest thurgood

Guest thurgood

I am aware that all first gen z's use a 5/8" bore clutch master cylinder and from a little time looking through Advance Auto Parts website, it would appear it applies for later models as well.

For those looking to use a larger bore clutch master cylinder, are there any other options besides a Tilton or Wilwood unit?

I am working on a off road race vehicle at school (SAE Mini-Baja for those of you who have heard of it) and upon changing the clutch master on my 77 280z this weekend, it looks perfect for an application as our brake master cylinder.

I use a 5/8" master cylinder for the front (perfect) but need a 3/4" bore for the rear.

Anybody know of an OEM application for a 3/4" bore cylinder? I have used Wilwood products for the last two years due to ignorance and have had at least one cylinder fail only a few months after install. I won't ever use Wilwood m/c's again.

It appears that most people use Tilton products when going away from stock. That's option B for now.

Now I dont know anything about this mini-baja competition you are talking about. :wink:

But I want to pose a question? Why not set it up like a regualar car and use one mastercylinder for both front and rear? Is the rear master cylinder going to be hand actuated? Or what is the purpose of running two...

Seems to me like weight is the issue here and 1 is lighter then two...

A regular master is actually two one in front of the other. The usual reason for using two separate masters is to give a different amount of pressure to the calipers front and back and thus control the bias. That's why you see lots of racing master cylinder setups with dual master cylinders.

My question is why not just use a brake master cylinder instead of a clutch master? I don't know that there is any difference internally, but the few people I know using dual brake masters don't find them to be failure prone, I think they're all using Tilton masters FWIW.

Right but the reason that brake mastercylinders are comprised of two isolated sections is for safety reasons; to isolate the front from the rear incase of a major line failure. In minibaja when the speeds are slow and brake failure isnt as catastropic as in a car there is no need for the extra weight. I think that was part of the reason for going with the z clutch master (it is very small compared to a tilton/wilwood units, comparable ot the wilwood compact).

My question is still the same? why run two? When you can controll bias with a proportioning valve (lighter then a second cylinder) Haha of course i dont know why im posting it ill ask him tonight at the baja meeting.

the other question though? Any larger OEM clutch masters?

A proportioning valve doesn't give 70% to the front and 30% to the rears or whatever. It actually has a non-proportional effect on the rear brake pressure. So a lot of guys run duals not for safety, but because you can control the pressures directly and proportionally. Follow the link on John's Brake Balance FAQ. There are some good graphs on that page that really show you the difference.