HybridZ

Hypothetical engine build question

If I was looking for an RB26DETT, would there be any advantage to buying one from an Australian engine builder and then have it shipped to California for installation? My reasoning is that since the car was originally sold there, there should be a wealth of parts and qualified mechanics. I'd also like to take advantage of the exchange rate if at all possible.What are your thoughts on this?

Also, is RB Motoring in any way related to this mess over at Motorex? I called them the other day and tried to talk with Kenny, as was suggested in another post. The receptionist was very unhelpful and it seemed like she wouldn't let me talk to anyone since I didn't already have a relationship with them. It just seemed odd and unprofessional.

Also, is RB Motoring in any way related to this mess over at Motorex?

First things first. RB is not associated with Motorex. An ex-employee of Motorex (Sean Morris) does provide them with Skyline related technical assistance, and they do have several Skylines that came from Motorex, but that is where the connection ends. They have been doing thier best to support alot of the Motorex customers who were screwed over by Hiro.

I called them the other day and tried to talk with Kenny, as was suggested in another post. The receptionist was very unhelpful and it seemed like she wouldn't let me talk to anyone since I didn't already have a relationship with them. It just seemed odd and unprofessional

Ah... Katrina. Kenny is currently the only member of the RB staff who works continuously on the Skylines (suspension work, engine re-building, parts sourcing...etc). He is even more busy now that the Automotive Forums R34 race crew is on the road (they helped out on some of the work). He previously took ALL the calls and did most ALL the work... so they hired Katrina to help out. Kenny was likely pretty busy and was unable to come to the phone. Doesn't sound like she handled it the right way... but I wasn't there.

What specifically did you want to know? Kenny is one of my best buddies and I am at RB quite frequently (helping when I can)... I can get you the answer to your questions pretty quickly.

What specifically did you want to know? Kenny is one of my best buddies and I am at RB quite frequently (helping when I can)... I can get you the answer to your questions pretty quickly.

I'm contemplating an RB swap and I'd like to find a strong engine to drop into my 240Z. Since I don't have a garage I'm looking for something that I drop in with as little trouble as possible. (I'm aware that this is a not simply a plug-and-play procedure) Katrina said that they did not currently have and RB26DETT engines in stock and she didn't know when they might be getting any either. Venus was also out. This is when I came up with the idea of just dealing with a shop in Australia.

If you could talk with you friend, I'd appreciate it. If RB Motoring could also handle the install, I'd definately consider that.

As I see it right now, I'd need the engine with ECU and harness and the tranny from a GTS. I can source the mounts and a differential myself. Am I missing anything?

If you could talk with you friend' date=' I'd appreciate it. If RB Motoring could also handle the install, I'd definately consider that.[/quote']

I'll call him today! :D

It probably goes without saying that an RB26 swap is NOT a budget swap, but...

If the install is completed by RB several components will have to be fabricated. The major items are listed below:

1. Tranny Mounts

2. Down Pipe

3. Exhaust

4. Mounting IC and making IC Piping

5. Throttle cable routing

6. Drive shaft

It's not going to be cheap... you're probably looking at a couple grand. What do you have budgeted for this swap?

This is all off the top of my head. If you're serious, and RB has the resources, we will have to setup a time for you to come in to discuss the project at length.

I'll call him today! :D

It probably goes without saying that an RB26 swap is NOT a budget swap' date=' but...

If the install is completed by RB several components will have to be fabricated. The major items are listed below:

1. Tranny Mounts

2. Down Pipe

3. Exhaust

4. Mounting IC and making IC Piping

5. Throttle cable routing

6. Drive shaft

It's not going to be cheap... you're probably looking at a couple grand. What do you have budgeted for this swap?

This is all off the top of my head. If you're serious, and RB has the resources, we will have to setup a time for you to come in to discuss the project at length.[/quote']

Thanks.

I didn't figure it was going to be cheap. The way I see it is... I can spend $XXX on a L28 from Rebello or I can spend a little bit more on an RB26. Give me a price range and we'll go from there. IE: $6-$8K, $8K-$10K, >$10K.

Thanks.

I didn't figure it was going to be cheap. The way I see it is... I can spend $XXX on a L28 from Rebello or I can spend a little bit more on an RB26. Give me a price range and we'll go from there. IE: $6-$8K' date=' $8K-$10K, >$10K.[/quote']

RB25 is cheaper and more direct, great power,... just for you to consider.