HybridZ

Great Deal on Taurus Electric Fan

I been fighting a cooling issue. Did alot of reading here about fans. Seems that the Black Magic Fan or the Taurus Fan was the way to go. Called the junkyard today. They said come on up and pull what you need. I went up there expecting a real hassle. Carried my tool box back to the back and lo and behold there was a Taurus SHO sitting by the crusher. Popped the hood and went to work. 10 minutes later I was walking out. I didnt even ask what the price was just handed the man a $10.00 bill and he said have a nice day. Got it home tested it. Man does that thing move some air. Cleaned it up and did some dremel cutting to fit the shroud nice and neat. Man sometimes the force is with you. Thanks for all who suggested this fan. Hope it makes a difference.

I liked them so much and was worried about longevity and them just finally not being around anymore that I picked 4 up from the local pick n pull for 17 each.

Never have to worry about cooling issues with any of my projects now!

Mike

Anyone ever seen or know about a Taurus 2 spd fan that doesn't flow as much as the ones that you are talking about? I got one out of either an '89 or '90 Taurus that has two speeds but it doesn't pull near the amount of air that you all talk about. The motor casing on the back is plastic also unlike the ones pictured in JTR which has a metal casing. I went looking for the normal Taurus fan and found a Mustang (3.8L?) fan which is HUGE! But I've never put it on. There is someone on here who has used one and says they don't have any problems with it though.

The Taurus one-speed fan is fine for the V8 Z. It uses a longer motor than the 2-speed fan. The longer motor on the one-speed intereferes in many engine swaps, but there is so much room between the engine and radiator on V8 Z cars, that the one-speed motor is fine.

The Taurus 2-speed fan is actually overkill. You could run it on low speed, and it would cool 99% of the V8 Z cars.

When using electric fans, it is important to run a radiator that doesn't restrict air flow. Some of the thick 4-row radiators restrict air flow, and cause cooling problems.

Another Ford fan that works well, and can look at better in the V8 Z car is the Lincoln Mark 8 fan (also used in 92-97 V8 T-Bird). It fits the Camaro-style radiator a little better -- it has a larger diameter blade, and taller (and narrower) shroud than the Taurus shroud. It appears to use the same electric motor as the Taurus 2-speed fan