HybridZ

Just rebuilt: Stock ECU or megasquirt?

jmark06

I just finished rebuild my turbo engine and have it in my 77 280z. I already bought megasquirt, supra inj, JSK fuel rail, walbro fuel pump, 240sx tb with tps when I HAD money over the summer (those days are over). Now I'm trying to wire everything up using the 280zxt electronics. I thought this would be the way to go to break the engine in. The problem is that I took the engine and all it's components out of an 82 zxt that hadn't been driven in like 9 years or something so I have no idea if the injectors, AFM, or anything are working. Should I just go ahead and try to install MS with the supra injectors that work or still attempted the stock install for break in? This would free up more room for my intercooler install and I could just vent the BOV, but I don't want to be destroying the engine with bad tuning and stuff. What do yall think? Oh I have a hybrid turbo now, if that matters, and a 76 inatke manifold so no egr to mess with:)

I would use the ZX ecu for starting up for know. I don't know MS has a limp mode but the stock ecu does and if any electronics fail (AFM or what ever) the ecu should go into a pre-set fuel map and shouldn't harm the motor. But if the ecu fails then you have no other choice.

Use the stock injectors untill you can figure if the supra ones you have are hi-impeedence or low. You don't want to fry your injectors.

If you use MS's MAP sensor, you shouldn't need a limp mode.

All MS needs to run is a coolant sensor, MAP sensor, and IAT sensor (plus a rough base map).

To figure out impedence, just use a multimeter to measure the resistance of the new injectors.

My suggestion is dealing with what he has right now, he would have to go find and purchase a MAF sensor, and it would also need a O2 sensor, which the stock ecu wouldn't need to run in limp.

In limp mode, the ecu runs the engine rich, so I wouldn't suggest using the supra injectors with the ZX ecu, depending on how much boost you are going to be running.

he would have to go find and purchase a MAF sensor, and it would also need a O2 sensor, which the stock ecu wouldn't need to run in limp.

No, megasquirt does not use a MAF sensor. It uses a MAP sensor which is built into the ECU. You just run a vacuum line to the ECU. Megasquirt does not need the O2 sensor to run. I never used it because I ran with a wideband sensor and manually wathced AFRs(so there was no closed loop correction on my setup). Just turn O2 off below 10,000rpm. FWIW, I started my engine first with the stock ECU then changed to megasquirt. But I just want to avoid misinformation about megasquirt.