HybridZ

Inspection Guys

280zwitha383

So I've been driving around town all day trying to get my '82 inspected. The guy that did my truck told me to bring it by and he'd have a look at it. When he did he basically said he didn't want anything to do with it and told me I should go to the DPS so they could tell me what I needed. YEAH RIGHT! Then when I was about to go he told me I could try another gas station downtown because he said it was easy to get a sticker over there. So I take it over there. Apparently cars before '84 don't need cats so that's cool. However the guy at the 2nd gas station tells me that cars made after '77 can't have headers! So again I'm like yeah right. I tried taking it to a truck stop but everytime I try that they always say that they're busy and it will be a few hours... So I took it to wally world and they told me they don't do inspections anymore because it was too much of a hassle. I asked him if he knew a good place and he recommended me to yet another gas station. So I go over there and as soon as the guy starts my car up he starts revving it which is fine with me really as long as I get it inspected. I didn't leave my fan running because I figured he wouldn't be gone long (big mistake) and the other place left it on while they were doing the inspection and ran my battery down. So later he comes back in and leaves the car running. I go out there because I was going to tell him to turn the fan on if he's going to leave it running. Well, as I'm walking out the door I hear him saying, "Damn, this fu&*er is fa..." then he sees me. I just told him to turn the fan on but by now the top has already blown off of the overflow. I go back inside and hear them talking a little about the car and finally he comes in and says that I need an air cleaner and hot-air riser (?) (all I've got on it now is a hilbourne (sp?) scoop). So I guess that's cool since noone else would hardly even touch the car. Anyhow, I've had some funny times today with these guys.

The headers thing is bs. As long as you don't have a leak, you should be fine. I remember 1968 is an important year for smog, I just can't remember if it's when cars started coming with smog equipment from the factory, or if 1968 is the year that cars are subject to the required smog equipment under the hood. 1982 and newer vehicles are subject to an emissions test (if inspection station is equipped), so just keep going to the small gas stations that only do safety inspections. I believe Dallas is using an ASM test (where they put your car on the dyno and use the sniffer), so I'd stay the hell away from there :-) . Other than that, an air cleaner will not fail inspection (from what I remember), but I do remember something about a hot air riser -- I'm just not used to working with them. All I can remember is that it's something that is supposed to route warm air to the carburetor for emissions purposes, I believe.

If I remember correctly, the only thing under the hood you're supposed to have a smog pump, egr valve/tube/etc., good belts, non-leaking master cylinder with proper fluid level, and non-leaking p/s pump with proper fluid level (to hell with the alternator, waterpump, etc.) All I've done in the past was just slip them a few extra $$$ and they wouldn't argue. Sounds like your last gas station will be your best bet.

69 was when cars were subjected to emmissions test. the 240z didn't have really any smog related equipment because it passed smog testing with out any for the standards of that year.

If I am correct they are "suppose to" inspect the engine as if it 383 (which it is). I'm sure most of them don't even know that and wouldn't want to bother with it because its such a odd inspection a classic import with a domestic engine.

You should ask a IM ref whats going on with your inspection, just look in the phone book. If anything in cali your car would be concidered a "kit car" and would only have to do a dyno run, with out IM inspection.

oh yeah, I'm thrilled to death that all I have to do is put a stock air cleaner on there and a hot air riser (I do know what that is btw, I just don't know if that's the correct name for it). I can rig that up in about 10 minutes and a trip to the parts store. It's funny because after he told me that's what I needed I asked him if it has to have a hood on it to pass and he said know (as it sits, my carburetor will touch my hood if I didn't have the hole cut in it for the scoop so there's no way I could fit any kind of air cleaner on there and have a hood I don't think. It would have to be a HUGE cowl).