HybridZ

having a little vin troubles need help

Guest ExpertHandler

Guest ExpertHandler

okay I bought this car from a guy that lives up the street from me

it is a 1971 240z when he gave me the title

the vin number on the title didn't match the car

I called him and he said that the car was pieced together from 3 different cars and that the vin plate was not the orrigional one from the car

then I took the car to get the registration set up and it worked and then i went to get the insurance placed on the car and when i got the paper faxed to me it read that the car is a 280z witch kinda worries me

i called the insurance and they said that they looked up the vin and it registers as a 280 and that their wasn't a problem with their system

well the new title says that the car is a 1971 datson z

but they didnt make a 280 z in 1971 so wtf

ok

im trying to decode these vin's to see if there is more of a problem

HLS30-18923 Is the one on the title

and

HLS30-33464 is the on that is on the car

is there an actual vin decoder availible

What can i do to change the vin on the dash to the one that is on the title cause i had a real problem getting inspection and I do not think that i will have the same luck next time

On the car where? I would go by the one on the Driver-side doorplate. There's a date on the bottom that has 01-12 (Months of the year) and then a double-digit date. That is the date the car was made. The model year for that car is date stamped on the plate (When the car was made), plus one.

If it's a 280, the date will be '75 (Or, made in '76 through '78 (Made in 77)

Hope this helps.

shouldn't there be one on the firewall above the master cylindar? To get a VIN plate made for these cars is easy. just take out the dash drill out the rivets hold the VIN plate and remove them rivet a new one in. To make one use a chissel or impact lettering.

You can easily tel its a 240z by looking at the tailights. 240z has the reverse light part of the rest of the tailight while the 260z 280z have separate reverse lights.

Look for the VIN in the firewall on the driver's side of the car. That's the number that actually identifies the chassis. If that matches your title, you're in decent shape.

Either way, you're probably going to need to contact your local Vehicle Titles and Registration (VTR Regional Office). They'll direct you to someone that can perform a 68-A inspection. If all goes well there, they'll send you back to VTR to get new VIN plates put back on the car. If the car is stolen or the identity of the car cannot be determined they'll impound it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I've just gone through this process for the past two years. Mine ended in bad news: stolen car. Hopefully yours works out better.

Another option: find another car and part this one. If I had it to do over again, I would seriously consider this option.

okay the vin matches the number on the dash

and that means that i do not have a title for the car

what should i do

OK' date=' your neighbor pulled a fast one on you. You've got a few options:

1. The first thing I would do is try to get my money back from the seller.

2. If he has the [u']correct[/u] title for the car, get him to sign that over.

3. Get a bill of sale from the seller that indicates the real VIN on that car. You can take that to VTR and apply for a bonded title.

4. Call the police. The vehicle theft task force in my county has been very helpful in figuring out my title problems.

I'm not a lawyer and this isn't legal advice. I'm just relaying what I've learned in my experience. Good luck man.