HybridZ

1/2 shafts

Guest Anonymous

Morgan, I do not know if there is anyone else running the stock halfshafts in competition, but I can certainly speak for myself and Derek Grubb.

We both have 71s with Buick Grand national drivetrain. Derek's car is lighter and has considerably more HP and has run a best of 10.59@130. He uses a 7" motorcycle slick and has a best 60' of 1.49 so he is not babying it off the line. I am running McCreary cheaters (drag radial equivalent) and launch at 8psi boost with a transbrake.

The key? Solid u-joints. However, if you plan upwards of 300hp and slicks and are starting from scratch, do the CV conversion. I have the CVs and an adaptor and will install them when I move up to DOT slicks or the stockers break (and I wont be shocked).

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

http://www.mindspring.com/~vscott911/gnz.html

Guest Anonymous

hmm. I found an excellent 240(260?) to start with, owner is removing engine and stuff, and it has a cage in it already. He'll let the body go cheap. Thinking about slapping in a vg30t engine. I have spare JWT stuff laying around, thinking about putting it on the same car. That'd be around 400 horsepower give or take. No drag slicks, just sticky street tires. Do I read that tech page right insofar as all you need are 280zx turbo shafts and flanges to transplant the turbo CV joints?

Is a r200 the same width as a r180? I have a spare r200 LSD already that I would put in it - is the CV conversion the same? If it's really that easy then I'll just put CV joints in it, kinda silly not to I think!

Morgan, first of all, the CV swap only works for the R200, clutch type LSD or not. It does not work with the R180, nor with the viscous LSD R200 out of the all white 300ZX.

To put the CV shafts in a 240Z or early 260Z (can't remember when the stub axles actually changed in the 260Z), you need the 280ZX Turbo halfshafts and companion flanges, but you need to modify the companion flanges by swapping dust covers with the 240/260 ones, and you need to use the R200 pinion seal with the rubber ground off the outer diameter.

Morgan,

I can attest to Scotties statement of the stock half shafts being more rugged than people think. I’ve run a hand full of 1.6 sixty footers with stock half shafts turning BFG Drag Radials. I did, however, manage to snap one half shaft. But the more I investigate the cause of the failure, the more I think the fender bottomed out on the radial and put an excess torque load on the half shaft. Also, I am running an automatic transmission. I have to believe that a manual transmission would be much less friendlier to those u-joints. eek.gif

As for the U-joints themselves (Scottie, or whoever else might know), who and where is good place to get some solid joints. Every now and then I hear someone say only “Datsun/Nissan†joint should be used. Don’t these U-joints have Zerk fittings? My belief is that anything with a zerk fitting is inferior to a solid design. I could be wrong though. Wouldn’t be the first time.

-Andy

I got my solid u-joints from one of the top driveline shops here in Orlando. If you have trouble finding them, let me know and I can try to get you a brand/part# or can pick them up and ship them to you. I believe they are about $15/ea.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Guest Anonymous

ummmm OK - dumb question/add to my education time....

What's a solid u-joint? My guess is that it doesn't have the internal drillings for greasing, and so might be a shorter lasting item under "normal" circumstances - is that right?

Correct about having no grease fittings. I have broken 2 stock u-joints, ironically with a mildly hopped up L6 turbo. Both of those and all other broken ones I have seen resulted from cracks that started at the fitting. Conventional wisdom would say the solid joint should have a shorter lifespan, but how many grease fittings do we see on modern day cars?

My experience and those of others that race with them say they hold up better under stress. I do not consider my car normal rolleyes.gif and I am just happy to be able to DRIVE it home from the track biggrin.gif . If it can stand up to that kind of abuse, then it should last a long time under normal driving conditions, IMO.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Guest Anonymous

hey scottie, well i live in south east georgia. i am on the florida line. i have a 76 280Z with the r200 rear and was wondering if you could get me a set of the solid universals for me. my area code is 31620. let me know the price and shipping and i will send you a money order. i have looked all around here and nobody has them. if you could help then let me know. later, chris