HybridZ

Engine Venting & PCV Elimination

trwebb26

What setup is everybody using for Crankcase/Valve Cover Venting?

Based on this thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=93716

There are 2 options:

1) Vent them both (either filters - or via vented catch can)

2) Maintain stock PCV system with both vents hooked upto intake manifold.

Please also mention if you are running a MAP sensor or AFM and whether emissions are required where you live.

I'm curious to see what the turbo guys have done with the vent for the block and if it gets in the way of the turbo piping.

Thanks!

Tim

I running a breather/filter directly off of my valve cover. I will, after reading the other post I made below this one, run a pcv valve from the side of the block to either a breather/filter or catch can and cap off the intake hose.

I am using a map sensor from my ECU, and my Z is grandfathered from emmisions...lucky me:burnout:

I got bored today, and decided to make a PCV evacuation system... similar to the stock setup

I didn't want to drill and tap a hole in the intake manifold, so I did it the easy, cheap and effective way..

With the turbo, and N42 intake manifold, the PCV valve hits the turbo outlet, so I had to plug it up with a large bolt..

soo I put a filter on the end of the crank tube...

since the oil and gas blow by blows OUT of the crankcase/block the filter would become clogged, and when this happened, strange things would occur..

the clogged blow by, caused sooo much high pressure build up in the crankcase/block, the turbocharger oil drain would not even drain the oil, because the high pressure was keeping the oil in the line. This would result in the oil to leak out of the turbo seals, and drip into the exhuast, which would smoke really really really bad.

I then ran it open with no filter or anything, but I feared on a dirty or wet condition, water would enter the crankcase and contaminate the oil.

SOO.. I attached clear hose from Home Depot to the crankcase PCV outlet, and put the open end behind the brake master cylinder and brake heat shield so no dirt would enter it

Well.. with the PCV and nasty blowby gases pointed at the firewall, and the old rubber grommets I had, when I rolled the window down the high pressure in the engine bay would flow into the cockpit/cabin and create a vacuum.. ****, now I am smelling all this nasty *** blow by...

I decided to buy the largest PCV valve I could at Checker Auto Parts, and attached a 3/8" hose to the intake manifold... obviously since it's smoothed and cleaned up, I TEE'd off the blow off valve vacuum source, and voila!!

Magic! I noticed the engine seems to run a weeee bit smoother, and the RPMS are steadier... (the vacuum creates a better seal between the pistons rings and crankcase)

here are the pics

Notice the tube from under the intake manifold to the crankcase hole, and the shiney silver filter?? well that didnt work

330795_272_full.jpg

well NOW here is my ghetto setup

5919184960.jpg

5919192589.jpg

=)

I think this is a great approach to the PCV issue I see always comes up. This is what I plan on running on my Turbo Z.

It's not a Z, but I think it is a great example. One would go to the Valve Cover and the other to the Crank-Case vent.

What do you guys think ?

asppg_Db864323408.jpg

I will post a pic in a day or two of a aircraft style oil air seporator that was constructed by a friend of mine.It uses centrifical force to seperate the air and oil then uses a drain tube to deposit the oil back into the engine.It works great and eliminates having to use a PCV valve.