HybridZ

Need R200 LSD 4.11 Break in procedures

331CI 280z

Hi. I just finished mu LSD install and took the car for a short ride. What a difference!!!

Are there any break in procedures that I should try to follow. I installed a PG Power Brute diff in a '85 200sxt rear. I replaced the differential bearings, and checked preload and backlash. I'm using the NISMO cover and fabbed a brace out of aluminum. I put redline gear oil in, and I can notice a slight whine on decel.

Ring and pinions need to be broken in. LSDs and bearings don't.

According to this: http://www.ringpinion.com/content/technicalhelp/default.asp?pid=109 your pinion bearing preload might be a little loose. I haven't found R180s or R200s to be the quietest diffs around, so you may consider just living with it if it isn't really obnoxious.

If you took out something like a 3.54 and put in the 4.11, you will notice some more noise. It seems to me that higher ratio diffs make more gear noise. In the 240, this is very noticeable because of the close proximity of your head to the diff and the lack of any sound deadening between the two. I went back to a 3.7 from a 4.11 and my car got quieter. All the diffs I have had in my car have had good patterns and backlash, so I don't think that it is too much of a set-up related problem.

Doug