HybridZ

Screw this stock 5spd stuff... looking for options...

Guest 73Turbo240z

Guest 73Turbo240z

Alright so tonight i killed tranny number 2, this is really starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth so to speak as i'm sick of swapping transmissions, i want a solution to this... so while it's been debated before, i'd like to rehash the discussion of tranny options in relation to my specific build.

1st tranny i blew up was a beat up unit from ON3GO which was i'm told a ZX N/A 5spd, which seems to be fairly well liked, it met it's demise on one the second "drag launch" i ever did on it, both of which were on street pavement, and i was wearing 185 width kuhmo all seasons at the time, so... yea... odd.

2nd tranny let go tonight, in a more understandable track enviroment, prepped, rubber down from other cars, etc... It was a 77-78 N/A 5spd which is apparently not as well liked, and you can definately feel the difference in gearing as well. It had been race on the street surfaces many times and while far from perfect it tolerated it. However on a track prepped surface tonight, i managed to puss foot 3 launches on 10psi, then it let go on the 4th pass with the boost up to 14psi...

I'm really losing all faith in these L series gearboxes, perhaps i've just had 2 units that were on the edge already, but it seems like alot of ya'll are getting much more life out of ya'lls than i am, it's becoming frustrating. My launches are 90% of the time on street tires, it's an open 3.54 diff, i'm figuring a majority of the shock load of a launch is ending up in the halfshafts, not the trans.

But still i manage to blow them up... so what am i to do? go get yet another L series gearbox from a junkyard to see if it won't die like the rest? what are my options at this point? theres talk of many different transmission types out there, but i know some are more easy to do than others... what would ya'll suggest?

I'm seriously considering the KA trans since i now have 2 spare bell housings. My biggest hangup with that is that i'd have to get a custom driveshaft in order to pull it off.

The 300zx 5spd is another i've heard of, but didn't find much on...

And then of course theres the T5's but those seem to come with horribly large bills associated to the clutch slave and overall PITA factor...

KA tranny seems to be a good option. Garret is running it I beleive and he seems to drive the hell outta his car and its holding up. You might wanna PM him and 1 fast z as he also seems to know alot about that. As far as the z32 tranny thing, yea well its a kit I think Ken is working on there is a thread about it http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103698&highlight=z32+tranny. Seems a bit pricey.

We were talking about this saturday @ sez. It really seems the KA tranny is the best option as there are so manylying around in junkyards, garages, etc. And the Z32 kit is toooo expensive. Gabe said he'd much quicker go 7MGTE than paying for a z32 tranny!