HybridZ

Need Opinions

I was wondering if I were to go from 1.5 rollers I have now to 1.6s would I see any improvement in ETs or MPHs? I have the AFR 190 heads with 1.5s now. ZFAN runs a one step larger cam than me so wouldnt this sorta let me see how it would compare to the bigger cam? What would that give me and extra .32 lift each side? Currently it is .520/.510. Desk top anyone?

Terry

gaining some extra lift by swapping rocker ratios (could help) but in most cases the larger cam is the more effective route, simply because its the slight increase in durration more than slight increases in lift that help breathing at the upper rpm range, more effectively, and its the mid and upper rpms where you make most effective power, now IM sure this is, confuseing but let me OVER SIMPLIFY it for clearity, lets assume just for this example that valves on both cams open and close at exactly the same rates, and that the flow area under the valve due to the lift curve , adding lift due to a rocker ratio swap only adds really effective flow increases at peak lift, which only occures ONCE in the lift curve, while adding durration aids flow during the WHOLE lift curve even if the total lift remained constant because the valves open sooner and closed later, and tend to stay at or near the max lift longer ,but in most cases increased durration tends to aid high rpm breathing and HURT low rpm cylinder fill efficiency

timing.jpg

http://www.elgincams.com/campaper.html

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/95298/index1.html

p174971_image_large.jpg

btw most guys look at increasing the power as a cure all answer, while increasing the cars ability to effectively transfer that power to the pavement efficienctly with minimal tire spin thru maximum use of better tires and gearing and suspension mods and weight reduction, can hold surprizing benefits , if your spinning the tires excessively or your 60 foot times are over about 1.6 seconds Id also look into thatas an area where gains are to be had!