HybridZ

Transmission choices

Guest Anonymous

I think popular opinion on this is theres only really two choices that will handle that torque. Tremec 5sp(probably the TKO), or the T56 6sp found in Camaro/Firebirds. They are similarly priced and I don't think I've heard anything negative about the T56 yet, except it being expensive and getting a little harder to find. Some say the Tremec is notchy shifting, I've read other posts that say its fine (these were all on Ford websites), so it might be a matter of individual transmissions, or shifters. But my own personal opinion is go T56 and be done with any transmission worries. Its what I intend to use. JMHO..

Lone

------------------

http://www.bent8z.bizland.com/index.html

I'm with Lone on this one. The Tremec I've got in snother car (Ford) IS nothcy and thta's with an aftermarket shifter. Th eT56 on the other hand is supposed to be a dream to shift - if it's anything like a T5 I'll be happy. It's also supposed to be darned strong and that 6th gear could be nice if you can run the motor at those kind of low RPMs.

As for locating one - I've not heard them being scarece but expensive yes! Clutches are also not cheap. Get the JTR book(s) for more details. They tell you how to setup the clutchslave - hint: get the GM slave with the trans smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

BLKMGK,

Yeah, your right, scarce probably isn't the right term, finding a cheap one is scarce. smile.gif

And I also hear you on the clutch. I just bought all the crap to hook up to a rather tame Goodwrench 350 motor (its a driver for now, but with room to lean on it a bit..) and it was REAL expensive for this homeboy. Centerforce flywheel alone was 264.00 (least thats what I paid for it and the best price I could find) because of the early style 2 piece crank end. Clutch about 300.00 (Ram replacement style). Add the price of the changeover T56 with everything... Whew. Great tranny, but damn pricey by the time its done though, But I guess I don't have to tell you huh? eek.gif .

Lone

Well, I think I overpaid for my trans - I was just so excited at having found one and it WAS less than what a specialty salvage yard wanted - "only $1700+shipping"! Shipping ended up being a bunch and the guy was so shocked that he knocked a good bit off the price for me. I don't recall the total (I'd cry) but it was say $1800 or a bit more. For that I got the trans, clutch, old flywheel (useless to me now), masterslave, and the bottom of the shifter - no handle. Since then several members here have scored them for MUCH less by being persistant. I intend to use the STOCK GM clutch, yes used, on this puppy. I figure that as light as the car is it ought to work fine. I'll check it for wear and make sure it's not absorbed any oil though. The flywheel was in perfect shape so I don't think it was beat up too badly smile.gif

I guess I've just gotten spoiled with clutches for the Mustang. The T56 stuff is faily expensive and the RX7 stuff is right up there too - and I NEED one of those ASAP. Ah well, it'll be worth it.

Oh, I'll be using a Tilton master with mine per JTR specs. Sourced through Pegusus. Stock slave modified per JTR also. Their mod for the hose gives me th ewillies but several others have had no probs so I'll just have to deal with my fears smile.gif

P.S. Another trans option to possibly consider - the ZF. There's a thread here about it. I don't like what I've heard about that trans but it apparently has worked fine for others so it's worth considering I guess. At least research it if you really want a 6speed.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, I went to a 'Specialty' dismantler (Rancho Chevy) (they do ALOT of Camaro/Firebird, but also some truck and like Caprices and such) and paid 1750.00 changeover complete. More than I was expecting, but I could'nt locate a GM T5 locally, and knew if I used one, I'd smoke it anyway when I upgrade my motors heads and cam in a year or so. So, I'll have an extra flywheel, but hey, I'll keep it, maybe win the lotto and want to put some newer block engine in the car some day. I also thought about using the clutch that came with it but, I decided to bite the bullet and change it now so I would'nt have it go out in a month and be pissed (YMMV, but I have Shite for luck it seems.. smile.gif ). My clutch will just be a stock replacement type though, meager horsepower doesn't require me to put in something to beefy at the moment.

Lone

Guest Locutus

Ok i am about to make most of you cry, but this is only to show you persitance pays off, I got my T56 for 850 bucks the only thing it was missing was the slave cylinder and clutch fork. I sold the stock flywheel for 100 bucks and put that toward the centerforce flywheel and dual friction clutch(i have the old style crank) that was 550, and the clutch fork which was 65 I spent. So the total came out to right around 1300 complete and ready to be put on the engine minus the slave cylinder(still looking for the right part somewhere other than chevy)

Mike

I'm telling you guys; Dallas/Ft.Worth & Houston Salvage yards are pretty reasonable. If you are going to pay someone S&H check Texas yards first & last.

I've been asking round for the T-56 for the last three years when I come across one just so I'll have a reference.

Yes they go fast; but most dealers sell them for the $850 to $1250 range; and that would include the clutch/flywheel/slave cylinder.

I posted most Dallas Salvage yards last week w/their ph#'s...I believe on the "Announcements" section. Both Dallas/Ft.Worth and Houston have a lot of Camaros/Firebirds runing around-there's always a dozen every week in the AutoTrader parts section & about every other week you come across a T-56 equipped F-body at a salvage yard.

To think of all those #'s that doesnt even include the Salvage Yards just on the outer limits of Mansfield. Mansfield is nothing but Salvage Yard after Salvage Yard for about a 5 mile strip. I'll have to get those #'s for ya.

Another good idea is to call AutoTrader: I believe you can get a subsciption to any city they publish in; you may get the book a little late but it'll have the picture to go w/the add & you can see what you're looking at.

Jusat my .02c's worth.

Kevin,