HybridZ

What I've been up to.

MusPuppis

I hope its appropriate, a little off-topic. I havent been able to work on the Z due to complete lack of time and money, but its always on my mind. To tide me over I've been working on an 89 Mustang in school.

My roommate and I bought the car to fix up and resell and its been a task and a half. I've enjoyed it though and its been a hell of a learning experience. We arent done yet, but we're really close. Still have to wet-sand and buff out the bodykit peices and finish buffing the car itself, pull and rebuild the transmission (bad 2nd gear synchro), clean the engine bay up and we should be ready to turn the car out.

Sadly, we lost alot of the "during" pics of the body work and prep, so it goes from the "before" straight to paint masking, heh, but you can get an idea of what all we had to do.

The Before shots. Dont have a good shot of the rear bumper but it had a hole in it and a crack or two.

Mustang.jpg

F-bumper.jpg

passfender3.jpg

Masking the stripes/car.

Untitled-47.jpg

Untitled-54.jpg

Shots of the stripes sprayed. Thats Donnie by the bumper, he's helped Bryan and I AALLOOTT. Great guy, very very meticulous, very good.

donnyshowntell.jpg

Untitled-61.jpg

Untitled-63.jpg

Spraying. I'm the guy in the white suit. Soo.. dont spray without a mask. I wasnt paying attention when I went out on that one and of course, it was the only pic of me taken while spraying for hours and hours and I look like a moron.. I did put it on a second or two later when the fumes hit me.

johnpaint.jpg

A couple shots of it after the spray, not wet-sanded or buffed, but it gives you an idea how it'll turn out. The guy in the blue shirt is Gary our instructor, the other guy is Bryan, my roommate.

Most of these pics were taken during a two day, 27 hour-of-work marathon to get the car in paint and ready for wet-sand/buffing by Thursday. I spent Thursday painting the kit, and Bryan spent it.. well, doing nothing. In 8 hours he buffed half the hood and one fender. Go Bryan.

Untitled-82.jpg

Untitled-77.jpg

Untitled-76.jpg

This is my first start-to-finish other than a half-assed little S10 that was shitonashingle. I'm really happy with how it turned out. We had some problems with dirt in the paint on the first color coat and we had to bake it off and sand then re-spray color.. Thats why we ran so late on the second day. 12 hour then 15 hour spans, lol. I was a little worried until I saw how well it buffed out.. Its gonna look really good IMO.

Two 8 inch stripes with a 5 inch gap done in Dark Pewter Metallic (PPG). 5 coats. 5 coats Dark Red (Omni.. Yeah, I know, its all we could budget in). 1 tack coat, 2 wet coats Omni clear (again.. all we could budget). Same on all the body kit peices.

I'll add some more pics if anyone cares to see them of the finished and assembled project, hopefully by this coming Thursday.

Still loving school and learning alot. I have about 10,000 miles to go before I'm "good" but I think I'm getting there slowly.. Learning from my mistakes and trying to do a good job. Been in school since this last January.

Not bad you want to paint my car?

Get it to Somerset Ky and buy the paint and materials and.. well, yeah. No labor charge or anything. I'd love to get a crack at a Z. I've approached the owner of every one of them I've seen while out and about but no one wanted theirs painted =[

My Z is months from work, I need to put together about 1300$ for materials, metal, primer and paint before I can start working on it again. God I miss it.

We had some problems with dirt in the paint on the first color coat and we had to bake it off and sand then re-spray color... Thats why we ran so late on the second day. 12 hour then 15 hour spans...

That sounds like a labor of love to me. At least the car DID come out looking quite the business and I'm sure you're proud. Makes me wish you were here in NoCal and I'd let you have at it with my 240Z LOL! :mrgreen: Shoot, I'd even pay you. I hope I can hook up with someone here that can shoot my car for no too much dough.

Two 8 inch stripes with a 5 inch gap done in Dark Pewter Metallic (PPG). 5 coats. 5 coats Dark Red (Omni.. Yeah, I know, its all we could budget in). 1 tack coat, 2 wet coats Omni clear (again.. all we could budget). Same on all the body kit peices.

I never laugh at what car or what make the paint came from---some of the best colors are from "uncool" cars. Heck, like you said, the paint was affordable. Besides no one else knows (except anyone using the internet...)

I'll add some more pics if anyone cares to see them of the finished and assembled project, hopefully by this coming Thursday.

Heck yes. Looks like you are doing a great job. Nice to have friends to help out and help you learn :2thumbs:

Davy

Got some new shots of it today.

Bryan buffed it out, but we're gonna go back over it again to kill all the swirl marks and get the clear good and shiny.

Still no body kit.. Not till Monday. Trim is missing and a few other assorted odds and ends but you can get an idea what its gonna look like when its completely wrapped up.

Stupid017.jpg

Stupid016.jpg

Mustang is wrapped up and completed and for sale! Awww yeah.

We have to buy a lock for the hatch and the rear window trim but the car is totally done, buffed, shiny and purty secksy.

89 Mustang GT, 5 speed. Asking price is 4000$. I think we'll end up painting the rims or something to match the stripes, just to see how it goes.

I learned a metric ***-ton on this car and have alot better grasp of the process now. Its far from perfect but I know where our mistakes were and I wont make them again. We primarily a victim of poor masking on our parts and thinking more than one or steps ahead.

I would have liked to spray more material as well. We were rushing ourselves out of impatience and eagerness to see the car done and it resulted in a fair amount of touchup. If I had slowed down and taken my time more on the first go-round I would have saved literally 8-10 hours of touchup and tinkering afterwards. Also I should have gone heavier on the clear. 2 coats and a tack but I would have preferred 4 coats and a tack.

Also need to adjust my wetsanding procedure some. Gary has us just hit the clear with 2k then move on to the rubbing compounds and such but I read an interesting little article that shows a guy wetsanding the paint w. like 600 grit THEN spraying the clear and going over it with 1200, then 2000 then the compounds. I want to look more into the wetsanding process cause thats what makes or breaks a paint job in the end IMO. For production work Gary's method is fast and functional but when I need to go the extra mile I need to find a process I like.

How do you all go about the wetsanding buffing? I'm curious to hear how the paint guys here like to do it.

Anyway, here she is.

Mustang2013.jpg

Mustang2010.jpg

Mustang2008.jpg

Mustang2003.jpg

Mustang2005.jpg

Mustang2007.jpg

Mustang2006.jpg