HybridZ

Junkyard Pickings

I stopped at the local u-pull-it yesterday and found a couple of goodies, including these. I am going to pull them apart on tuesday and throw a rebuild kit through them, I hope the kit doesn't cost all my arms and legs. Do you guys know which rebuild kit I should get and who has the best price on it? Thanks.

btw, I paid $10 for the pair! and Yes they do look worse than they are.

100_7264.jpg

there should be a stamping on the side of the calipers. it should say something like S12W or something like that ( it's been a while since i've looked and i'm going from memory) depending on what year truck you got them from. as far as rebuild parts, i found that the Toyota dealer actually had all the parts in one kit and it was just over half the price of the other kits i had found. i was suprised because that was the first time i had actually bought parts from a dealer because they were cheaper.

I've decided to just buy new ones and use these for the core. With all the things that could go wrong when I rebuild them I'll let someone else do it. Luckily this wasn't a waste of money since it would cost me between $60-$80 per caliper for the core charge if I didn't have these.

i have rebuilt a couple of sets myself and there really is nothing to them. the hardest part was cleaning off the surface rust so i could paint them afterwards. if you are mechanically inclined i would recommend you try it and save yourself some money. if for some weird reason they don't work, you can always turn them in for some rebuilt ones afterwards.