HybridZ

A/C not working b/c?

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

Hi, it's gotten absurdly warm around N.E for April, so I thought I'd start circulating the 83 280ZX a/c. Of course, it didn't push ANY air out of the center blowers on MAX/65F settings of the auto climate control...putting it in econ gives a little vented air out of those ducts, but if I step on the accelerator at all, the air dies off. With the max a/c setting, I can hear the engine revs duck down so I assume the compressor's kicking in, and it seems like a bit of cold air may be making its way out of the heat footwell outlets, but there's not enough to cool the car. I may be planning ahead for June, but is this a vacuum problem, and with a car this old, is it not going to be worth it, ie. $1000+ to fix with a shop having to take off the dashboard, etc?

I know the automatic climate control stinks and some people have converted to the manual unit, but there's no plug and play for that swap..I've heard its 2 grand!!!

Anyways, how complex in terms of tech time is this likely to be? Am I better off letting the A/C go the way of R-114?!!? I do have an extra can of the propellant, does this sound like a low propellant issue?

Thanks

John-Boston

Not really sure. I can only guess what is wrong.

It could be a vacuum issue but I don't know if the 280zx with a vacuum or linkage controlled vent system. I have a jeep that had the same issue with a vacuum control, turns out it was a broken vacuum line in the engine compartment. I fixed that and then took out the little valve block that would activate/deactiviate the actuators and put a light coat of grease to make it seal better.

It could also be a relay, the points inside could be getting corroded and letting less amps travel throught to activate the blower.

A can of A/C recharger gas (don't know what else to call it) I've seen cost about $10-$20 at schutcks and pepboys.

Just taking a shot in the dark.

Hi

Sounds like a split Vacuum hose this happens to my car now and again, can be a bit tricky to find but it is usualy under the hood (high temp does the damage to them) it is always a small hose on my car (about 1/4" dia) and the split is only about 3/8" long and the hose is still attached so you have to look carefully. pull them off one by one and check for splits to the end where they fit.

You said it only pushed out a small amount of air?? How about in the HEAT position, blower put out more air?? If the inside of the car was not that warm the blower will work on low speed, if hot inside the car blower speed will pick up faster, thats how the system works, could be nothing wrong??

Yes, I agree, it is most probably a small vacuum line split at the connection. I got so tired of cutting of the split ends that I replaced most of my miniature vacuum lines with silicone Radio Control fuel lines for hobby cars and planes. It's a bit soft but it works great.