HybridZ

What to keep?

I just happened to come across a 1993 camaro that someone selling because he decided to take an excursion across the center of the highway (i knew stock ride height on camaros was pretty high, but not enough to offroad it).

In any case, he's selling the whole lot for 1900 dollars. The engine is the MAFless LT1 with a 6-speed T58 (yes, T58) behind it. Evidently, it has a mild cam, aluminum LT1 manifold and a K&N intake.

My question is what i'd need before I part the rest of the car out. Do I use the driveline? Is the radiator usable? etc. etc. The combo will go in either a '77 280z or a '70 240z. The 280 is in better shape body wise, so that will be the most likely candidate.

I will search around the site a little more on this topic, but what considerations do I have to take into account regarding the clutch? How about o2 sensors?

Also, I'm pretty sure this, as a whole, is a good deal, but it'd be nice to have some backing on that opinion.

Any other information you can provide about this particular year LT1 and the swap in general would be great. This is my first one, and I hope to make a good driver out of it. Goal is to keep up with my buddy's 1994 Supercharged Z28.

I've been reading the site for about a year now and finally have the financial resources to do a swap. You guys all seem like you know what you are doing more so than almost any forum I've been to.

Thanks in advance..

-Barrett

Guest tony78_280z
My question is what i'd need before I part the rest of the car out. Do I use the driveline? Is the radiator usable? etc. etc.
Whatever is left over!

I went through a few pages of google and found nothing so I must ask, What is a t58 6-speed?[/b'] I've never heard of such an animal and I'm sure someone else reading this doesn't know either.

Actually, it's just a T56 with taller gears evidently.

Here's what my buddy dug up about the tranny from the f-body forums:

"Here's the deal. In 93, when GM started the LT1 F-Body production, Borg Warner didn't have the F-Body spec T-56's ready yet. So GM goes to Chrysler, and buys up a bunch of Viper T-56's. Thus, the two different ones in the 93 F-Body, and the different gearing and power rating. The M28 was the weaker one. I believe that the M29 is rated to something like 450 LB/FT also.

With 4.10's and a 6000 redline, you would make it to 38 in first, 54 in second, 78 in third, 112 in fourth, 140 in fifth, and 180 in sixth. 3:73's are a better match to the M29. It's your call."

"haha this guys chimed in "As stated above I would not trade it. I have an M28 which has even a lower first gear than an M29 and an pushing over 700 rwhp with no problems"

Then the first question on this page tells of the gear ratios with the m28 compared to the m29..

http://www.f-body.org/faq/4/4_3.htm

Hope that answers some questions.. I retract my T58 statement.. The seller was pretty adament about it being a T58. I had never heard of one before either, but I took his word for it.

Back to your original question, what to keep, partial list: engine, trans and shifter, drive shaft, all the engine sensors and wiring, the ECM computer and wiring harness.Don't know about radiator may be too wide to fit between frame rails? Buy the JTR book on Chevy TPI &TBI engine swapping, lot of great info that you are looking for. Their phone #925-462-3619, that will answer alot of your questions.

As an update:

Went and looked at the car today. I am buying it, but I don't know if I'll keep the motor. I have someone that wants to buy the whole car for 2k, and I get to keep the wheels and T56 trans.

The suspension is toast, and most of the body is toast, but the drivetrain itself seems pretty good.

I'm having qualms in deciding to keep the engine or not based on my wants for a 280z with an LT1. I have a carbed 327 that I could put the T56 behind, but it's not as powerful and probably not as reliable as the LT1 engine. Any input on one over the other would be great.

Money is a factor, and I do need to make money on this deal (or so says my banker). I have a choice between:

1) selling the current reliable daily driver that I've owned for the past four years having about $3500 left over for building a 280z LT1 T56, or

2) just sell the camaro, keep the transmission and wheels and make 100 dollars profit while potentially using the 327 sbc & T56 for the 280z.

The 327 sbc would come out of my 1965 chevrolet pickup. It has a 272 advertised duration cam, oversized heads, edelbrock intake manifold and a AFB 650 Carb. I have a Cadillac 500 engine to replace the 327 in the pickup, but it'd need work before I put it in, and I generally like to take the truck to shows during the summer.

The person I'd be selling the car and engine to is a buddy of mine with a third gen Trans Am that he's rebuilding. This would help his project along as he'd get a good engine and a disk brake rear end out of the deal.

I seriously don't know what to do and any information would be absolutely appreciated. Either way it's a win-win, but I need one to be a bigger win. Thanks.

Also, will the T-56 bolt right up to the SBC 327?

The LT1 version will.

Since money is an issue I think your choice is clear. Sell the car to your buddy and put the T56 behind the 327.

The t56 is alot tranny for a 327. Heavy too. You might be able to pay for the JTR swap by offering the t56 in trade for a world class T5 and $1000.

Asking or cost effective advice on this board is a tough one. I can almost guarantee someone will suggest keeping the LT1 and throwing some type of forced induction on it. I can't begin to count the number of times someone has asked for suggestions on economical transportation only to have someone suggest getting a used BMW...

Realistically, time factors in as well. I just don't know how long it'd take to have a functional 280z with the LT1 + T56, running reliably enough to drive it over a mountain pass and do a rolling resto..

Two people would be working on it, one having done a newer engine swaps before, and the other having done SBC engine swaps his entire 60 year life into hotrods. JTR kit would be ordered for mounting, radiator would be purchased in advance, fans would also be purchased. Brakes would also need to be gone through on 280z. Working in a full garage with lift.

Realistically, what amount of time would you estimate for a quick swap? Out of camaro, in 280z..

I've done a Honda in sub 40 hours by myself. That's with engine work while the motor was out.