HybridZ

Getting ready for the swap

I purchased a 91 350 TBI from a 3/4 Chevy and have the JTR book. From the sounds of it exhaust manifolds that I have won't work. I see some 130.00 coated huggers on ebay, anybody know if they won't fit?

I also see that I need a 7.25 or smaller blancer, does this inlcude the lower pully as well or does that end up far enough forward where it will not hit the rack?

I am not looking to build a quarter mile car or anything. I see a lot of v6 t-5s for sale or a good price, will these physically fit the same as teh v8 version. I read that they are rated a little weaker but that might get me buy till I finance the t-56.

One more thing. My car is a 76 so its fuel injected currently. Will the factory pump supply enough pressure and volume for the factory v8 tbi?

Guest tony78_280z

Most of your questions could be answered by doing a search.

The header issue has been discussed so frequently that it should be a sticky in which people could reply to the sticky with the header brand and model that they discovered works. (Ahem Mods)

I know the pulley hitting the rack issue I had discussed on this forum recently. It seems I'm the only one who has ever had this problem.

The T5s question is a good one! I don't recall that coming up. I know that the 700r4s for v6 and v8 are diffferent so don't get your hopes up. But if others say it is possible, I'm headed to the junk yard!

And the factory pump with carb issue has also been discussed. It is my understanding that with a $50.00 pressure regulator with a bypass that sends the gas back into the tank, one can keep the nearly 30 year old factory pump. (Don't push the quote button on that one, as I have never tried or seen it done. The theory sounds good though.) WHY WOULD YOU when you could spend the $50.00 on a new 4-7 PSI aftermarket in line fuel pump.

Thanks for the feedback. I think it would be a great idea to have a list of headers with known issues with each.

As far as the fuel pump you talk about a carb. I am staying with injection, datsun multi port to GM TBI. I did do some searches and found read that the gm only requires 9 to 13lbs. didn't know if datsun was within this range.

Thanks for the feedback. I think it would be a great idea to have a list of headers with known issues with each.

As far as the fuel pump you talk about a carb. I am staying with injection' date=' datsun multi port to GM TBI. I did do some searches and found read that the gm only requires 9 to 13lbs. didn't know if datsun was within this range.[/quote']

Aren't the stock fuel injected 280z Pumps around 30+ psi?

Most of your questions could be answered by doing a search.

The T5s question is a good one! I don't recall that coming up. I know that the 700r4s for v6 and v8 are diffferent so don't get your hopes up. But if others say it is possible' date=' I'm headed to the junk yard!

.[/quote']

I talked to the local tranny guy and he says that the v6 and v8 are the same externally except for the input shaft. Internally the gear ratios may be different. But the bearing would be the same.

Guest aerosmithr0cker

on the t5 internals im not sure but if you have a v6 t5 going on a v8 you will need to get a v8 bellhousing for it, you can unbolt the v6 and botl the v8 one on.

One more thing. My car is a 76 so its fuel injected currently. Will the factory pump supply enough pressure and volume for the factory v8 tbi?

According to the JTR TBI and TPI book the 280z external pump should supply enough volume and pressure to supply a TBI 350.

Regarding the fuel pump, it is true that the book says that, but the fuel pump is 30 years old, and just for insurance, it would be nice to have a new inliner in there.

As far as headers, the cheapo block huggers from Summit work fine.

Regarding the V6 T5, aren't there a lot of cheap V8 T5's from the Gen 3 Camaros? I would think that would be plenty strong for a TPI motor.

Of course, I did all that stuff a million years ago and I have half the brain cells now, so I'm not sure of any of this.

Guest aerosmithr0cker

it is hard to find a v8 t5 and get it cheap everyone wants one so it drives the prices up on them. i used to deal in parting out camaros and firebirds and i rarely got in a v8 t5 and when i did it went quick.