HybridZ

Starter Problem

Guest vanir97

Guest vanir97

Mini starter. Starter at times just clicks. After a couple of turns of the key it starts. At times it sounds like the starter just spins (that awful metal spinning sound/grinding) Here are my questions

1. Is the starter solenoid bad. is it getting stuck.

2. Could the starter be not installed properly since I just had the clutch replaced.

3. Could fly wheel teeth at a certain spot be worn so that starter does not engage at that spot on flywheel.

Suggestions welcomed.

Yes to 1 and 3, my guess no to 2.

First things first, clean the battery posts with wire brush (whether they look clean or not) then make absolutely certain the grounds are good and negative battery post is solidly attached to the block/starter.

To test the solenoid, try jumpering the contacts with a screwdriver.

IF all of that doesn't work, which I hope your problem IS a ground or solenoid, you should check your starter to flywheel clearance. If your teeth on your starter are too far away then it will spin sometimes and clang other times and sometimes sound like it's dragging when it does engage. If this happens to be your problem you need to shim the outer bolt until you get the clearance within an acceptable range (you would have to look it up because I don't remember what it is). I had a similar problem with my gear reduction starter and I thought something seroius was going on because it sounded hideous. However, when I looked at the teeth on the flexplate, they were worn only about halfway into them and untouched more towards the center. I suppose your problem could be that the starter is too close also but you will have to figure that out for yourself. Good luck!