HybridZ

Fidanza flywheel problem

Guest ExpertHandler

Guest ExpertHandler

I bought my fidanza flywheel on ebay with the intention of putting it on my 71 240z with the installation of a 5 speed tranny and a centerforce duel friction clutch I recently droped it off at the z clinic with the hope of them installing it opon the arrival of my parts

well they put the whole thing togethier and cannot get the clutch to release.. they first thought that it was the clutch collar. the replaced the master and the slave cylinders Still nothing

now they are trying an adjustable slave cylinder and hopefully that will work ...

They allready tried to put the whole thing together with the stock flywheel and it worked just fine

see they think that the flywheel is too thick

witch i dont understand if it is supposed to be the right one for the car

anyways that is my delema

any takers

like people that can help that have had the same problem or someone who would atleast like to take a shot at it

I don't think the flywheel is the problem. You need to have the correct collar for the throwout bearing that matches the pressure plate (240 has a different height pp than a 280, but the flywheels are interchangeable). You mentioned that in your above post, but don't say what was done to fix it if anything.

If the local Z shop couldn't tell you for sure if the clutch master and slave needed replacing before they replaced them, I'd take it to another shop. Clutch hydraulics are about as easy as it gets. The clutch actuation is pretty easy to verify. Step on the clutch and watch the pin push on the throwout fork. If you step on the clutch and the pin doesn't move or barely moves, then either the master or slave is bad. They usually get replaced as a pair.

At this point I'd check the free play between the fork and the pin in the slave. You can do this by grabbing the fork and pushing it back and forth. If it doesn't have any free play that would be a problem, but that would usually show up as a clutch that won't engage. I think more likely you'll find that there is a whole bunch of free play, and the reason the clutch won't disengage is because the wrong collar is in there and the clutch hydraulics just don't have enough throw. Rather than fixing it by putting an extra long adjustable slave in there, I'd just get the right collar for the throwout bearing. Doing it the other way is like fixing a distributor that got installed a tooth off by rotating the spark plug wires around the cap.

http://www.zparts.com/zptech/articles/trans_swap%20parts/4tobear_specs1.html

EDIT--If the flywheel was too thick than the clutch wouldn't be able to engage, because the stack of the flywheel, clutch disk, pp, throwout bearing and collar wouldn't have enough room in the bellhousing. That would mean that there would be constant pressure on the pressure plate, meaning the clutch would slip, not that it wouldn't disengage. You need to find another shop IMO if they're getting confused by this problem and are thinking that the "thick" flywheel is preventing the clutch from engaging.

Guest ExpertHandler

well they put everything back together with the stock flywheel cause they couldn't get it to work with the fidanza and he stressed that he tried every single way to put the thing together

he said he tried every collar and every bearing

well im stumped

im begening to think that they sent me the wrong flywheel

does anyone have anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated

jmortensen vbmenu_register("postmenu_629042", true); thanks sooooo much for the suggestions thoe

you people are allways really helpful

• 2 weeks later...