HybridZ

header and harness questions

premo-s12

I think some of the Japanese regulars like HKS and Greddy used to way back when but definitely won't make them anymore. If you can find one, they're very expensive due to being so rare. From what I've read at Z31.com the stock turbo manifolds are proven to handle 400 whp or so. Some port would likely increase that.

Your best bet would be to make your own or have someone make some for you.

Yup, that'd be one of them.

Harness wise I think one of the main differences were that the turbo models got a knock sensor. I wouldn't be surprised if the MAF was the same, but I'm not positive on the Z31.

So at the very least the turbo ecu/harness will have one extra wire but there's a chance there could be a few more. I'm not too familiar with the earlier VG wiring.

Guest crowbar

All 84-89 MAFs are interchangeable as far as I know. They output the same voltage range in any case. Some do not have adjustment screws. I have sold MAFs from non-turbo cars to turbo guys and they run fine.

The ecu basically compares the MAF reading (volts) to the cars condition (gear and rpm) and figures out a 'LOAD' signal. So a turbo car knows its boosting because of this relationship. The MAF alone can't measure boost of course.

Voltage range is 2-5 volts and its a non-linear relationship. The MAF measures air temp and will send current through a wire so as to keep that wire at a matched temp. It sends the current across a sense resistor, which makes the voltage which is the MAF signal.

Guest crowbar
Yup' date=' that'd be one of them.

Harness wise I think one of the main differences were that the turbo models got a knock sensor. I wouldn't be surprised if the MAF was the same, but I'm not positive on the Z31.

So at the very least the turbo ecu/harness will have one extra wire but there's a chance there could be a few more. I'm not too familiar with the earlier VG wiring.[/quote']

Knock sensor plus there's a difference in the idle units and possibly a throttle position sensor (potentiometer).

cool. thanks for the tip man. i knew you'd come threw! how's things been been? havent seen ya since that fiasko on club-s12. dan left fyi, i guess he up and tossed the thing to someone else and bailed. anyways. whats going on is im yanking the engine out of my SE and putting in a vg30et. well, its gonna be a mix/match of both engines as im sure you already know, some parts dont fit! im going to make my own exhaust manifolds, intake plenum and POSSIBLY do a TT setup. ive not decided on that as of yet. right now im more concerned about getting my EFI and engine rebuild sorted out. at anyrate, my Z is the donor (she's getting a V8). do you know what the differences are on the two heads? just the cams right? if so, i might use my cams in the SE as they've only got 75k on them. im going to have to pick up a Z-31 service manual here pretty soon.

cheers

oh yea, the reason i was asking about interchangibility on the MAF's is that i read somewhere that you can swap out a 86' Z-31 MAF and ECU into the SE, but only that model due to the MAF and O2 sensor being diffent? ive never owned an 85' Z-31, can you shed some light on that?

Guest crowbar

Z31.com has lots of info. Just search over there but don't expect that much friendly advice.

Jason has a great website redz31.com

mc has had good success converting a NA 200sxse into a remote turbo. He uses a 86 300zx ecu/maf and NA injectors with a rising rate fpr.

I assume you are yanking the vg30et out of the 85? be aware that it has the 260cc low impedance injectors. If you go to a 88+ turbo ecu (which are superior), then you have to use high impedance injectors or install extra resistors.

You will have fitment issues with the vg30et in the 200sxse.

The main issue with using a 85 turbo ecu is that it does not use the small resistive type O2 sensor that a 86-89 300zx, 86 300zx NA or 86-88 200sxse does. IF you CAN get the turbo manifold in there, it WILL have the correct bung for the larger diameter O2 sensor.

Not sure if there are turbo heads or cams. But there are compression differences. The early 300zx turbo had low compression.

Turbo VGs used two different sets in the US. They are the same as the ones used in the NAs for any given year on Z31s. The split is at 8/87. Anything before is 13P80 and anything after is 19P80. The earlier cams have more duration and overlap. These cams also came in many other vehicles like J30, U11, D21, WD21, D21U, and the S12. I can look up the data on any VG cam except one jdm set I feel I haven't gotten reliable info on.

13P80 252-252-20-52-10-62

19P80 248-248-10-58-10-58

Look in a FSM if you are confused by the numbers here. There is a good visual representation of them in there.

13P20 is just an older version of the 13P80 and has the same characteristics. 19P00 is an older version of the 19P80 and is the same circustances as above.

cool, all very good information. thanks guys! ive actually had a quick word w/jason and had a look at his site and there's some definite good reading there. as far as mc's remote mount goes, its not completed and im gonna pass on that setup. i know the stock manifold isnt going to work (there's NO way the exhaust pipe from the passenger side manifold will fit back there), im going to have make new manifolds so i can use whatever size O2 sensor i wish :) oh, and yes. its coming out of my 85'. is there any harness differences that you guys know of from the SE s12 to the Z-31T? i understand there's a knock sensor? is that it?

i think im going to have to pick up a few FSM's. lol

*edit*

oh, on a side note, ill be tossing up the auto tranny, torque converter, ecu and some other various parts out of my Z31T on ebay in the next week or so. ill post them up here. let me know if you guys need anything drivetrain specific (that i dont need for my conversion)