HybridZ

how strong is the 350z tranny.....

xx.jason.xx

The 350Z 6-speed, from what I hear, isn't all that strong. Any particular reason you want a 6-speed? If you absolutely want one you could go with a T56 with a custom bellhousing. Might check the gear ratios though to make sure it matches the RB26.

You might have to go with a Cobra T56 as it has a .62 or so 6th gear compared to the GM T56, which uses a .50 6th gear. Depending on your rear end, that .50 top gear could make the rpm too low for the RB to be able to cruise efficiently.

Most importantly, you need to make sure the gear changes are within the RB's power band. If the rpm drop is too much it'll be slower than having a good 5-speed that matches the RB. The T56 should work pretty good... but double check to be sure.

Here's a good page for calculating all of that:

http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/transmission_300zx_tt.html

Interestingly enough, I have found that both the R34 GTR and the 1993-1998 supra use the Getrag 233 transmission, which makes me wonder how the power is transferred to the front wheels in a skyline. I cannot find a photo of a skyline transmission, and therefore cannot find this answer...