HybridZ

Precision Intercooler

Anyone try to mount one of these larger 31"*10.3"*3.5" intercooler. I have one from another project that I'm going to try and get fitted. I'm going to take out the stock grill and turn signals to free up some extra room for it. I think it will look great filling out almost all of the room between the grill and air dam.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Precision-Turbo-Front-Mount-Intercooler-750-hp_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ107066QQitemZ4629212609QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Regards,

Justin

Guest 73Turbo240z

i think you can do better then that... the 8" height wastes alot of un-used space that you have in the core area.

go to www.jgstools.com , and shoot them an e-mail, they have a 12x24x4.7 core that they can do endtanks on for a Z. and i bet even after shipping they'll skirt in under what you'd be spending on that other intercooler. there cores are rearward facing which means easier plumbing and little to no modification of the front core support unless you want too.

if your interested in one let me know and i can see what they'd want to sell them for, this one in the photo is a prototype.

DSC07391.jpg

Guest 73Turbo240z

bar and plate core.... i'll be able to tell you the heating habits once the cars running, i know i run a 3.5" bar and plate on my other Z and have no issues, it too is a 12x24 core

Guest ON3GO

then this fmic is perfect for your needs.

only better unit then would be a dual one sided inlet/outlet unit but those go for WAY more then this unit would cost and piping becomes tricky with space when you do that.

mike

Guest 280ZForce
then this fmic is perfect for your needs.

only better unit then would be a dual one sided inlet/outlet unit but those go for WAY more then this unit would cost and piping becomes tricky with space when you do that.

mike

ive got a one sided outlet/inlet. i had a smaller ic' date=' but now upgraded esp. since I just dropped in the stroker turbo motor. the dims r 30x11x3. should fit pretty good...i might try 2 run a cai setup that dumps out the other side.

here's the amount of piping off my old setup...which will pretty much stay the same...

[img']http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/280zforce/My%20Engine%20Swap/IMG_0041.jpg[/img]

But here's my new i/c held in place to give u an idea...

IMG_0023.jpg

oh yeah...i paid $185 for it brand new. It's a turboworks or something.

i think you can do better then that... the 8" height wastes alot of un-used space that you have in the core area.

go to www.jgstools.com ' date=' and shoot them an e-mail, they have a 12x24x4.7 core that they can do endtanks on for a Z. and i bet even after shipping they'll skirt in under what you'd be spending on that other intercooler. there cores are rearward facing which means easier plumbing and little to no modification of the front core support unless you want too.

if your interested in one let me know and i can see what they'd want to sell them for, this one in the photo is a prototype.

[img']http://album.hybridz.org/data/500/DSC07391.jpg[/img]

MMm, whataburger!

Those end tanks don't look too efficient... but I see they clear your rails.

Vertical flows are more efficient with everything else being equal. The reason for this is due to the number of passages the charge air has to go through. A vertical flow will have twice as many passages as a horizontal flow core(when comparing a 24"X12" core).

Due to the inherent greater cross sectional area, while retaining equal volume, the velocity of air through a vertical flow intercooler is half that of a horizontal flow. The air spends the same amount of time in the intercooler, although it only travels half the distance. Half the distance traveled through a restriction = less pressure drop and more power. Also the lower velocity helps lower pressure drop.

Derivation for Flow in a Pipe:

FluidFlow04.JPG

FluidFlow03.JPG

A = Cross-sectional Area of Pipe (SI: m2)

v = Velocity of the fluid in the pipe (SI: m/s)

I'm not smart enough to understand your equation. But I find it hard to believe while being pressurized to pressures of 30lbs or more that the Air takes the time to slow down and stay around longer to cool itself longer.

Wouldnt the Air have less resistance throught the shorter tube and flow faster?

Thats the thing, the motor is ingesting a set amount of air regardless of intercooler design. It is only flowing that set amount. With equal volume cores, it takes the the same amount of time for set amount of air to pass through the core.

Regards,

Justin