HybridZ

spec clutches

zguy36

Is anyone here running a spec stage II clutch in their turbo motor? Spec rates this clutches to 450ft/lbs of torque (far from what I am making) and I have about 20,000 miles on this clutch. I did a quick shift from first to second this afternoon and the rpm shot up to 6000 and stayed there till the car accelerated to that speed. Then, smoke filled the cabin and I gained frustration for a shitty clutch. Anyone else have problems with these?

yeah yeah...if you are running some crazy powerful L6 Z then you can probably roast any clutch. I can't drop the clutch from 5k on my Z without breaking the tires loose...well before my clutch died. My Z is not drag raced much at all but more driven through mountains and weekend driving. Drag racing puts a lot more stress on everything than just spirited street driving. I am currently thinking about going with spec stage 2 for mine.

I still haven't joined the 200hp crowd yet...at least I am really close...I am guessing 190-210...L26, cam, SUs, header to 2.5 exhaust and turbo muffler, I tuned the carbs right and I gained some power and that night the clutch began to slip after getting the clutch hot...that was stupid... dropped the clutch at 3500 and squealed a tire and slipped the clutch...then 10 minutes later it was slipping bad.. once it was cool it did fine. I haven't gotten it hot again since then, but have only put 500 miles on it since I overheated it.

See Z-Gad's link to my earlier post. SPEC has a reputation for thier stuff coming apart. It looks as if my clutch failed due to a chunk of disc lining coming off and grinding grooves in the flywheel, which quickly ate up the other pucks. There were no signs of heating/burning..

I would avoid SPEC for any application, any horsepower level. But that's just MHO.

I have a spec stage 1 clutch sitting in the hatch of my car. From what ive read they are actually pretty good. Of course some people might have problems, Ive heard of people having disatisfaction with ACT clutches as well. Its just all based ont he application. My car will be a general setup, no crazy high boost dragger, more of the autocross/road course type setup (eventually). I'll be sure to post my experience with it as soon as it goes in.