HybridZ

R230

mtcookson

Any of you guys have an R230 diff from a 90-96 TTZ laying around? I'm trying to find some measurements of it.

Diameter of input shaft flange

Bolt spacing of the rear studs (mounting studs)

Spacing of the front mount bolt holes

I've tried the Z32 boards but it seems they don't have quite the tech knowledge that everyone does here.

I'm trying to compare these to the R200V Q45 differential from 90 to I believe 96. I have a 90 unit and it has the same 6 bolt output flanges as the R230 (as everyone knows) but I was always under the assumption that the rear two studs had the same spacing on both diffs but that doesn't look to be the case.

The Q45 diff has a 4.75 inch spacing between the two rear studs, which is the same as the 90-96 300ZX N/A diff, which seems natural as both are R200's. The N/A diff has a 4.08 ratio but with 5 bolt output flanges and a 29 spline cv compared to the 32 spline of the TTZ and Q45.

I picked up a 90 300ZX N/A and am wanting to put the Q45 diff in there as it should be strong enough for what I want but also give me a lower ratio than the TTZ, which should get me some better times in the 1/4 and possibly better gas mileage... plus a gear limited top speed of 200+ mph :lol:

I have some things I can look at, but I not entirely sure what you are asking. You are asking if the studs on the back cover are the same spacing? Or, are you wanting to know if the distance between the two types of flanges are the same? Maybe I missed something, but you said you got a 300zx NA and you are just putting another r200 into it right? I'm missing the tt conection. I have a ton of compatibility info and a pile of diffs in the gararge. I'm sure we can find out what you are looking for. Oh yeah, and it is really hard to get those other z32 guys to put down their emory boards and toenail polish to help anyone getting dirty. I'm ashamed to have a z32 in my yard.

ps I'm working on axles right now - if you have some q45 specs (if you grabbed the axles) you can let out the bag I would appreciate it. I have tons of pics of them disassemble and next to each other so far on jdm and usdm Nissan stuff.

Sorry about that. I think I spaced out on that post and didn't clarify myself too well. :lol:

One measurement I'm trying to find is the rear stud spacing difference between the R200 and R230. The spacing from center to center on the Q45 R200V is 4.75 inches. During the whole Q45 R200/R230 debacle I was under the assumption that the R230 (TTZ) had the same 4.75 spacing on the rear cover as well. This doesn't seem to be the case now so I'm trying to find the spacing of those two studs on the TTZ's R230.

The next measurement I was looking for is the spacing for the front bolt holes on the differential. I'm pretty sure the subframe of the Q45 and Z32 N/A is identical and depending on that spacing might be the same as the Z32 TT subframe.

Third is the input shaft flange of the TTZ differential (the 6 bolt flange that the driveshaft bolts to). I believe the Q45 input flange is slightly larger than the TTZ R230 input flange but the Q uses a 4 bolt flange. Either way, I'm just basically trying to get the measurement so that I can make an adapter that would hopefully allow the Z32 TT driveshaft to bolt to the Q45 differential.

Going off of a fellow member's pictures I would need these dimension:

R230%201.jpg

R230%202.jpg

What kind of axle info are you looking for? I have the stock 90 Q45 axles and I also have the stock 90 300ZX N/A axles.

Awesome. Thanks for your help!

I have some basic info on those axles that I actually found while on Napa's website. I know the 90-96 Q45 and 90-96 300ZX Twin Turbo axles are 32 spline. The threads on the end are 24 x 1.5.

Compressed length of the Q45 axles:

Left - 24"

Right - 26 3/8"

Z32 TT axles:

Left - 24 1/2"

Right - 26 1/2"

If I can get the axles out tonight I'll double check those measurements. I had to pick up a 36 mm socket last night as I didn't have one so I'm finally ready to get those things out of there.

I've got an R230 out of a '91 TT. You're right,the spacing on the rear studs is different. I bought a billet aluminum mustache bar made for a Q45 R230 and the spacing wasn't wide enough for my diff so I had to return it. I'm a firm believer, like many others, that the Q45 diffs are R200s, not R230s. The spacing of the rear mounting studs on my diff is about 5.5" (I think its really 140mm, but its certainly more than the 4.75" on the R200). The diameter of my input flange is pretty close to 4.25" and the center-to-center spacing on the two front mounting bushings is right around 7.00". Hope that helps.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ