HybridZ

a little update of my project. but should i even go on?

v8260

what should i do to still make it out of this project with my wallet?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. what should i do to still make it out of this project with my wallet?

• keep doing it all original
    • aftermarket (flares, fender mirrors all that stuff)
    • dump the whole project
    • throw it on ebay
    • something else (mention it in the thread)

I wouldn't dump the project. you look like your in pretty deep, and getting out is going to cost you.

Sell the NOS dash, to make some cash, get some welding done..the holes are minimal compared to our examples of Z's up here in Canada.

Clean up each part as you put it back together, and keep it fairly original to keep your parts costs down. As long as the chassis is clean, and the car is up and running, it will always make a good candidate for more restoration. The chassis is the key to you or someone else down the road doing more mods or restoration. Then just drive it or sell it if your interest is gone.

As far as real wide body flares check under my old thread for lots of details:

Body Kits and Paint maybe on page 2 or 3

Old IMSA FLARE / BODY KIT

As far as money goes you can pay $100 for a proper radio knob, etc. and get a car perfect and still have it picked apart by some yahoo that never had one and barely get your money back. Can you imagine the trick dash including new and improved guages with new wiring you could build for the $1500 you spent on the original. I say sell it and do a cutom. There are threads on here that have fabulous dash applications you could copy.

I am sure you know this already, but If you do a custom, you have to remember one thing; less people in general will want to buy it in the end; but the ones that do want to buy it will want it terribly and will pay almost whatever you ask for it. However, you have to sell it to an outsider that doesn't feel he can build his own. If you go too far and have the best one (usually most expensive to build) around (see Eric Bernstein's ad in classified) it will be hard to sell because of the price level and will only sell to certain people and you have to have patience and go out and find them in the more exclusive magazines or sell it at a national car show/auction.

For example, just compare the quality and cost of a new-old-stock factory stereo system with what you could put in today and carry this comparison throughout your decision.

by the way. if you change to normal 5 lug wheels; huge wheels (wide) can be bought cheap as long as you like 15" or 16" diameter, it is when you get into the 17s, 18s, etc. that they get prohibitive. The ones in my picture below were Crager and I could have and should have gotten them 2" wider because they were available then, as well as, now. I just screwed up back then. Check the Hot Rod mags for suppliers.

Good Luck, I am jealous

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...