HybridZ

of all the bonehead moves I have made.....

mobythevan

Got megasquirt and wideband put on my new car, 90 talon. Went in last night to clean up a few things to start tuning and when I removed the intake pipe from the turbo I heard the unmistakable sound of something hitting the floor. WTF?, I couldn't have dropped anything, so I continue to remove the guts of the MAF and realize that 1 of the four tabs that use to hold the "silencer" is not there. I fearfully look into the front of the turbo :shock: chipped and bent compressor wheel. Look back on the floor and there is the fourth tab, been rattling around at the turbo intake for 2 weeks :cry2: .Brand new EVO3 16g turbo with 3k miles on it.

This came about because I had to cut the silencer out two weeks ago to fit the new intake pipe and didn't realize that action left 4 tabs, the size of a dime each, with nothing but crazy luck holding them in place. Lesson learned, when modding the intake double check and disassemble everything to make sure no piece can come loose.:emo: Looks like a local shop can send it out and have the compressor wheel cleaned up and re-balanced. Thank goodness I noticed it now and didn't drive it until the compressor ground out and ruined the turbo completely.

Guest ON3GO

thats okay.. i did something like that.

but it was on a friends SP66 single turbo supra... ya... leaving a washer in the intake pipe sure didnt help spool it up any faster.

atleast its fixable.

mike