HybridZ

Using the R33 GTR Power pump with a Mk1 Mitac Rack

Bishopsrock

Im in the middle of an RB26DETT (R33) conversion to my 73 240z.

Im using the info kindly provided by fastzcars to fit the Mitac power rack - thanks a million fastzcars for making all your detailed pics accessible.

Does anyone know whether or not the R33 GTR power pump is compatible with the Mitac rack or do I have to adapt the Mitac pump to fit the RB engine setup??

PS - I have been reading this forum for over a year and this is the first question that I havn't been able to find an answer too - so thanks to everybody for all the good info.

Thanks for the re-assurance kcelectronics - from you experience it seems to look promising.

However, as this is a proven rack conversion and one that anyone doing an RB conversion would want to consider - is anyone able to quote the spec of both the pump and the rack so as to demonstrate that spec wise they match up properly???

Excuse my ignorance what is a Mk1 Mitac rack?

I want to do the power steer conversion as well on my 240Z and I was going to try the subaru rack that KC and Quong have used, but if the Mitac is easier then I will use that. What is it out of?

Hi Mike,

Its from a MX 5 in our lingo but my understanding is that it is longer and offsets the rack 2" to one side (P/S in the USA) the Subaru rack I used places the rack equally! there is a clearance issue for the oil lines with the suby rack but not difficult to clear. Also 1 guy is swaping out the MX 5 rack for a subaru one? (I will search out the link)

Hi Mike' date='

Its from a MX 5 in our lingo but my understanding is that it is longer and offsets the rack 2" to one side (P/S in the USA) the Subaru rack I used places the rack equally! there is a clearance issue for the oil lines with the suby rack but not difficult to clear. Also 1 guy is swaping out the MX 5 rack for a subaru one? (I will search out the link)[/quote']

thaks Chuckie that would be grt

• 2 weeks later...

OK I am part way through this install and we have hit a problem.

Remember, I am installing an R33 RB26 DETT using Rick's Infinity Mounts.

Using the Fastzcars setup of the crossmember, the rack does not look capable of clearing the sump - visually it looks about 30mm too high. Fastzcars is not running an RB26 and so will have different clearance issues - obvious now!

I have just appreciated that there is a good reason for discussing power steering further in this particular forum.

I will keep you all posted as to whether I can solve the problem but would welcome any suggestions?

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

Why do you think the rack will hit? It fits in the same location as the original one? I have the Subaru rack and it uses the original mount on the P/side and all I needed to do was grind the drivers side mount on the cross member in a "V" shape and weld in a "V" that matches the suby rack and build an top mount that looks like this -^- drilled holes in it to suit the original D/side mount. I used the original fluid lines from the valve to each end of the rack, to do this I cut a slot in the front edge of the cross member which I then enforced with sheet steel.

I wish I had taken pic's as I did this but it was done over 10 years ago before I had a digital camera!

The suby rack has worked perfectly since the day it was fitted with NO Bump steer as the pivot points are almost exactly the same as the original!!!

I cant comment on the Mita rack as they might be a bigger diameter?

promised Mike some pictures but I have been to busy to pull out the motor! I could try to take some with the old L28 still installed

I also had to cut a section from the engine mount (the part that is attached to the cross member to clear the steering shaft and added a piece of pipe cut in half so that it is "C" shaped.

I will try to post some pic's tomorrow as best I can OK