HybridZ

Engine mounted 120 volt generator?

Dan Juday

Sorry, non-Z related.

I'm trying to find a belt driven, engine mounted 120 volt AC/15 amp/60Htz generator for my service van.

I know I could use a RV type generator but I'm trying to save space and keep things simple.

I don't know if anyone makes such an animal but you guys seem to know of so many strange items I thought I would ask. I did see that post here about a mobile welding unit that uses a belt driven, engine mounted DC generator to power it. In fact, that's where I got the idea.

Dan,

Why not an inverter? They're available in several sizes and although you'd need a separate battery, they can be connected together using a continuous duty Ford starter solenoid so both batteries are charged simultaneously when the key is on and motor is running, yet isolated when the key is off. I use this setup in my service van and have a 4000 watt (peak, 2000 continuous) inverter ready and willing whenever needed. When the rear battery gets drained, simply start the vehicle and continue to use the inverter while it's running. This setup keeps the rear battery charged while you're driving and allows you to conserve gasoline while not driving and still have electricity for powering stuff. Been using it this way for over 10 years and works just fine. With today's smaller batteries, it would be easy to mount the battery under a seat or in a corner and have the inverter conveniently located anywhere you needed it. No need to use a deep cycle battery or anything like that, just make sure that it's well fused (Maximum 200 amps). If the rear battery loses it's ability to hold a charge, swap it out...most car batteries today have a 3 year free replacement anyway.

Warren

Whoa, hold the phone...Harbor Freight sells the 2000 watt inverter for around $150 all the time...and it works well...have had one now for about 8 years...still pluggin along... ( my error before, it's a 2000 Continuous, 4000 peak inverter)

Continuous duty Ford starter solenoid... $30-35 at ANY parts store

Extra battery and wiring, less than $100 from anywhere.

Want to give me $700? I'd gladly take it, but you'd get the above...

Done too many of these setups for other people too, and they're all still working fine...

Just a rough drawing of the circuit...EASY.

INVERTER.JPG

BTW Dan, what type of tools/appliances would you be using with this power?

Warren

The Zena site is the one I was referring to. Looking over their site I only see a DC generator and no mention of an AC unit.

That monster from Harbor Freight is way bigger than I need. And yes, mounting could be an issue. I've stopped buying stuff from them too. It seems I end up throwing away about half the things I buy from them. The quality of so many of their items is so poor that there is little to no value at any price.

I need close to 2000 watts continuous power to run a couple pumps and compressors. I need the surge power to about 4000 watts for motor starting.

Perhaps a Redi-Line Generator is in order. I've used them before as well, but they're kinda noisy if you mount them inside the van, nothing really abnoxious, but noisier than an inverter.

Rediline Generators

I currently have a 1600 on the shelf in the garage, that if you were really interested in, I'd cut you a good deal on.