HybridZ

Gas Conversions

Just curious,

How many USA guys on this forum run straight gas (LPG) in their cars?

I dont know how much you guys have to pay for it over there, but in Australia its about $0.55/L ($0.40US/L), just the way Petrol prices are going over here about $1.40/L ($1.02US/L) and rising i thought more and more folks might be converting,

From what ive heard you should really go straight gas (if converting to gas, not duel fuel) and if possible direct injection style setup, which apparently loses you approx 2% of your current power, and you use about 20% more fuel to get the same amount of KM's from Petrol to LPG,

And the place's ive spoken to can replace your current fuel tank with a Gas one, so you dont have to have some massive tank sitting in your boot space, which is a tad limited in a Z!!!

Lewis, he did at the top of his post: straight gas = LPG (propane).

No one on the forum is running propane, although I have thought about running a turbocharged V8 on propane. Buuut, I think I'll stick with gasoline until it gets to $5.00/gal.

Davy

"I've never seen them marketed to commuters... only for farm vehicles and things like that."

Heaps of cars use it in OZ, every single petrol station has the "LPG" re-filler, every single Bus in Australia use's gas, same with Cabbie's, lots of trademan's with V8 ute's (trucks) and that sort of thing, but also, alot of daily driver's, when you buy a new holden or ford im pretty sure if you tick the option sheet you can get it running on straight LPG,

"There is also another use for this gas. Well if you are running turbo engines with nitros you can use it to cool down the charge allowing for more boost."

The guy who im thinking of doing my gas conversion say's that when they run serious HP on boosted car's they use "Gas Reserch" carbs which was pretty much explained to me like it was a TBI style setup - its not that exactly, but the same idea, said they are just brilliant for this type of application,

"However if you run LP as your primary fuel source you need to have a bunch of permits, I have to see them when I fill a LP powered vehicle."

When you do the gas conversion you have to get it safety inspected, this lasts for 5-7-10 years, i cant remember which, after that period you have to get it safety inspected every 1yr, so its a tad fiddly, but you are driving around with some pretty flamable stuff under you rear seat :-),

But to run your engine on straight gas its a pretty straight forward conversion, if your engine's already setup to run on unleaded (which every single engine is if its been rebuilt in the last 20years) with hardened valve seats than its setup to run on gas, you can get a gas cam which apparently helps your engine take full advantage of the alternate fuel system, and depending on what method of fuel injection you go, Gas Reserch Carb or Direct Injection you can lose between 2% to 10% of your current HP, and it can be installed where your current gas tank is, so you dont have to have some massive f#cking canister on the back seat,

Wish i put a bigger engine into my Zed with alot more HP so this kind of conversion would be really worth it!!!