HybridZ

VG30E camshaft seals

Nismo280zEd

Having huge problems with my maxima leaking. So it started a couple months back, my dad pulled in the drive we notice a bad oil leak. Thought it was coming from the dampener, ordered the crank seal and replaced it. Still leaked. More investigating suggested it was coming from the back of the upper timing cover. Tore down the side of the engine, took off the cam gears and back cover, bingo. The Engine Left seal or if you were looking at the passenger side of the car, the right hand side camshaft seal was leaking oil. So we replaced the seals with ones from (http://www.thepartsbin.com) these still leaked, took it apart noticed the inner part had folded it (prolly from install). So we took those out and put another set in from the same place making sure the inner piece of the seal didn't fold out on itself again. Joyfully we started it up... a couple minutes later, oil leak. Tore it down again, bought Nissan OEM seals, made a custom tool to install them (piece of pipe with washers and bolt). Installed them while rotating the pipe every 1/4 turn to ensure they went in flat and not angled. Started the car again two nights ago... this time it lasted 7 min before leaking, and didn't leak as much. Any ideas?

We are putting oil leak stop in the engine tonight as a last resort. Never had this problem with a seal before. The heads on this car were rebuild late last year so they are relatively low milege. under 5k.

Please Help before i shoot the thing.

-Ed

Do you have a blowby problem forcing oil out?

Could there be a burr on the shaft or wear on the shaft ruining the sealing surface?

I'd start by making sure the PCV system is working correctly and that there isn't too much crankcase pressure. Then see if the leak is reduced...if you're lucky, it'll slow to near-nothing.

If it's a bad cam sealing surface...well, that would be worse.

Ben