HybridZ

LSD rear brace thingy

Guest Anonymous

Check the classifieds on zcar.com. I believe there is someone that makes them out of aluminum and it looks pretty nice. Mine was made by someone in GA and it is a quality piece but it was a nightmare getting it delivered on time. If you are in no rush at all, then I recommend him but be forewarned.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

http://www.mindspring.com/~vscott911/gnz.html

I was going to look for this last night, but the #$@#$@#&! cable was down for 12 hours yesterday.

There's a guy named Dave, I think on this site that makes them. Check the forsale forum and search, I think there was an ad there several months ago.

If I find his email, I'll post it here. Something like 240Dave or some such.

Guest Anonymous

Mark,

Are you still planning a tech article on installing the R230?

I am very interested in this swap as I have found MANY R230s available for less than the R200LSD.

Thanks,

Chris

Guest Anonymous

I too have purchased the brace from Dave. The quality looks top notch. I need to assemble my rear but It seems like It will work great. Dave sent mine c.o.d. & I received it within a couple of days. I was impressed.

Glenn

Guest Anonymous

Glenn,

Are you running a VLSD or the "clutch type" R200? I am trying to figure out alternatives to the "clutch type" R200 as they are simply too difficult to find. I have found 10 to 12 listings on salvage yard searchs but everytime I call they advise me they are not from the Turbo cars...talk about frustrating!!

Chris

Guest Anonymous

Arif, to install the brace you do have to drill 2 holes (one on each side) in the flat mounts for the rear suspension crossmember. After the holes are drilled you bolt up the brace and cut off the stock crossmember. In my experiance a drill press was needed to drill these holes. The mounts are extremly hard metal and after a while trying to drill through it with my hand drill I barely put dimples into the metal. By the way I was using new cobalt bits & tryed differnt sizes. I brought them to the machine shop that was building my motor to have them drilled.

Chris, I have a clutch type R200 out of an 88 300Z turbo. I found it at one of the local pick & pull's about 2 years ago. They had no idea that it was special so I got it for less than $50 total. Last time I looked there were a couple for sale on zcar.com but they were pretty pricey.

Glenn

Guest Anonymous

Dave will sell the parts you need to drill already drilled. Well worth it. That stuff is hard. It ate my cobalt bit. I believe the R230 is a 3.65 or close to that. Would have to look thru my notes to be sure but that is close, I think. Mark

Guest Anonymous

Glenn,

I stop at wrecking yards every now and then when I am out of the office during the day looking for LSDs and I can't EVEN find 87-89 300s, much less turbo models!!! It sounds like you came across the deal of the century...

Oh well, I am going to keep searching as it will be a few months before I am even ready to start with the differential and drive train, I am considering a R200 VLSD or the R230 as an alternative if I can't find a clutch pack R200 for a reasonable amount. The R230 is a very attractive alternative as they are readily available out of Infiniti Q45s.

Chris

Guest Anonymous

Morgan,

I am just wondering, but do all of the 1990+ 300ZXs have a limited slip diff?

I was looking through my Dad's shop manual for his 1990 NA 300 and all of the information I found suggests that they were all limited slips. I was up under his car and it appears his car has the R200.

Also, how would one go about finding out the gear ratio for the 300 NA R200s? I would really like to have a 4.something gear as I will be using a T56.

Thanks,

Chris

Guest Anonymous

Yes, all Z32s have a viscous LSD. I want to say the non turbo r200 viscous is 4.08 or something similar. It might be 4.11, but I don't think so. Ask on z32.org and someone will tell you exactly what they are. Hell, search for it on z32.org also smile.gif

It has a different style case and will take a lot of work to make fit in a car with the conventional r200 style case(ie. all Zs up to 89). It is also viscous, so you'll need the goofy viscous 1/2 shafts. That black lt12 240 someone posted a link to had a z32 style case, perhaps track him down and find out what he did for 1/2 shafts?

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

Guest Anonymous

I think q45 is the same style diff as z32, but I'm not positive.

The case on the z32 style diff is not even remotely similar to that of the r200 found in Zs up to 1989. It will require major re-work to fit it to a pre-1990 Z. It will also require custom 1/2 shafts for the viscous lsd assembly inside.

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

Guest Anonymous

Guys,

I am attempting to gather as much information on the VLSDs as possible. It appears that a few have done the R200 VLSD swap into the early Z cars. There is a fella over on ZCar.com who has done it and runs some serious horsepower through his car. You all may have seen his website http://www.eng.fsu.edu/~jthagard/

I have only been able to find Mark who has done a R230 swap. Mike Kelly has a buddy down in Roanoke, Virginia that has also done the R230 out of an Infiniti but I have never spoken with him.

From the little research I have done this evening it appears I have confirmed Morgan's earlier report that all n/a Z32s have R200 VLSDs with a 4.08 ratio. I am trying to find more information on the R200s out of 240SXs as some came with 4.11 gears.

Chris